1. Acer

Acer New Member

Acer and assorted aliens invading your forum!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Acer, Aug 24, 2010.

OK... My name is Acer.

I started writing about the age of 7 or 8 and loved it. Unfortunately, as my teachers made clear (and I eventually realised) I had imagination but not talent. I didn't mind- I had fun doing it and it's not like anyone was going to read it (except, obviously, for creative writing at school). I started off writing about cats, then about people, and eventually about people and aliens. I still have a massive soft spot for my aliens, I've even made fimo models of some of them. The problem is, I suffer from long term and possibly incurable mental illness and the brain fog has now taken my writing from me. I miss it incredibly, but I don't have much creativity and the words in my head can't reach the page any more. Several times I've tried CPR but I'm pretty sure it's dead. I suppose I'm here for advice- I don't know if anyone can relate or if anyone has any ideas on how I might jump start what I once had.

Yeah, that's the lamenting over. Anyone got any questions about me?

2. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hi Acer and welcome to WF :)

Whenever the brain fog closes in on me, I churn out short stories to get me back into the writing groove. Hope it helps!

3. Acer

Acer New Member

It's kinda a bit worse than that, I haven't been able to write in two years now. I can't picture the plot's future like I used to, it's really murky and I can't formulate my thoughts properly to write them down and ideas just won't come either, I feel so annoyed at myself. I've tried writing new stories and writing just little bits and it hasn't done anything so far :(

4. Shinn

Shinn Banned

I went through something like that, but I kept writing little bits and it gradually came back Acer.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Acer, you sound a lot like me in certain ways! I started writing around age 5 and I wrote about cats too.

Now I'm a college sophomore studying P.R. and criminology. I like to write horror and dystopia, but I enjoy reviewing anything, as long as it's got a dynamic plot.

If you want a review, feel free to PM me! Welcome to WF! :D

6. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hello Acer and welcome
    You say you are having trouble writing but you have just written a perfectly sound introduction post.
    I would not worry too much about stories and creativity, if it was there once them I am sure that it must still be there somewhere.
    By joining this site you have already taken a positive step towards improving you writing.
    Joining in on discussions on this site is all good writing practice.
    Good luck
    Trilby:)

7. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Welcome Acer. :)
    As for struggling with writing, you say you made fimo models of aliens? Maybe make models of characters and try to role play with them and then note it down? Or you could draw scenes, like a comic, and add key words and phrases to get a rough idea and then you can come back to it later. Also, I have magnetic poetry and you rearrange words and stuff to see what fits and flows. Maybe get something like that to help? Good luck anyway, and I hope you regain what you once had. :)

8. Zane

Zane New Member

Welcome Acer :)

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Acer, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Talent is another word for potential, and no one can decide for you whether or not you have it. Developing your writing to its fullest potential is a matter of hard work and commitment. So how much do you want it?

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

10. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Hi nice to meet you. I am the opposite I was 33 before I began to write and have managed to flow ideas since.

Have you ever watched the Ghibli film Kiki's Delivery Service? It has some interesting scenes about finding out why you really want to do something and finding your own path through it?

11. Acer

Acer New Member

Thanks guys :)

I'm probably not going to post any of my work on here, if I'm not happy with it I can't see how anyone else would be, so I know I'll get a lot of albeit constructive criticism, which would make me unhappy. Probably not going to read anyone else's stories either because I see how much better they are than mine and again that makes me unhappy. Will read some of the techniques forums though, I'm sure there's a lot to learn from those and a few things I could do with putting into practice.

I wrote a page of a new story last night, it's not that great and I've run out of padding ideas already (that's the other problem recently, I can think of the main plot (you know... like "Earth gets invaded by aliens") but what to write outside of that eludes me)

I didn't know that about publishing rules... I did post the original unedited version of my first novel in one series on a site (the thread has now gone) but in any case, I have no intention of submitting to a publisher so I don't suppose that matters that much.

Will have a browse around :)

12. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome to the WF. :)