1. dmehling

dmehling New Member

first-time author looking for a publisher for memoirs

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by dmehling, Aug 9, 2011.

I am writing a book about my life which details my struggles with a lifelong disability and the ways I have been able to overcome my challenges. It is from a Christian perspective, but it is not strongly religious. I am new to the world of writing and publishing and really have no idea how to proceed. I am nearly finished writing, and will soon be doing some heavy editing. When do I start looking for a publisher, and how exactly should I go about doing that?

2. dmehling

dmehling New Member

Finding a literary agent sounds like an important first step in trying to get published from what I have read in the last few days. However, I also read that not many agents want to work with an unproven author. Should I keep trying to find one anyways?

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, it's best to keep trying to find an agent willing to rep your work... however, since it's in the christian ballpark, you can also query christian-based publishers directly... then, if you receive an offer, you'll be more attractive to agents...