1. Head

Head New Member

Age Demographic vs Content/Themes

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Head, Jan 14, 2013.

Hi everyone.

Contextually, I had an idea for a story about a boy developing into a (fine) young man.

Some death (from (implied/stated?) violence) and violent conflict and the presence of "bad blood" between groups of people seems intrinsic.

With that said, exactly how young could I possibly and/or should I aim the target minimum reading age (ie. 6+? 8+? 10+? 12+?)

I don't know a lot about the theory of children and what's suitable, while I know some kids, I'm not a parent nor have had real parenting experience.

Bonus: Any other "mature themes" and when they become acceptable/palatable/relevant to what ages.

I imagine some of you who have actually studied English might have a quick answer here.

(6+ seems too young to me).

2. Kaidonni

Kaidonni Member

I suggest you brush up on your reading to find out what's suitable for younger readers. Six years would certainly be too young, however ten and on and you're definitely moving into safe territory - just check out books like Watership Down or Firebringer, written for children in particular, but in terms of the story and the content you wouldn't think kids. I personally term Firebringer 'The Dead Bambi Book', and it deals with a serious situation, and features violence. However, it's handled very well and written appropriately. One thing you'll need to consider is that it can't be in there just because (that goes for any story, but moreso those read by younger readers), but there is a lot of serious material out there for younger readers, and it's been out there for decades.

3. Head

Head New Member

Yeah, I definitely need to go find and read what's out there for different age groups, my question seems absurdly theory-y. I will embark on this tomorrow (and possibly report back).

I'm being cagey about my idea because I think it's genuinely an okay idea (though I certainly am going to butcher it).

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, what you need to do first is study the markets... learn what kinds of stories work for which market age ranges... see how the bestselling ones are written...

you say 'story' but do you really mean a story to be submitted to magazines, or a 'book'? ... if the latter, will it be for a picture book, or a chapter book?...