1. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

We All Want Success Don't We?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by S-wo, Jan 25, 2009.

I know that many of us out there want to become successful authors. Myself included. I've been waiting for several years now to see my novel into published material, but I want it to be successful. Many people here don't have as much money to spend on leisure so their priorities have changed. With this current global recession do you think this is a good time now to get a book published and to sell it?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...no... i don't...

...not any better or worse time for it than any other... people still buy books, even in a recession... as a matter of fact, escaping into fiction is even more attractive than ever, to many whose lives are going downhill...

...anyway, those who are 'meant' to write [or are at least 'driven' to] don't let the state of the economy or any other life-affecting stuff slow them down or make them change course... they write because they can't not...

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

S-Wo,

If you start submitting queries to agents and/or start submitting to major publishers (and even some smaller ones today), it will be a minimum of 12 months before your book is potentially on bookshelves. Sure some folks could identify an instance here or there where it happened faster, but realistically, if you've got a novel ready to submit this minute the process will take 18 months--maybe longer. Submit, get through slush pile, get full reading, decision made, contract negotiated, book worked into publication schedule while editing occurs, ARCs go out (advanced review copies), cover art is finalized, gallies are proofed, printing of book, distributed...

Off the top of my head, maybe I missed something. Bottom line you should not let the economy deter you. Also as Mammamaia indicated, people do purchase books during weak economic times.

Terry

4. lostpyrate

lostpyrate New Member

78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why It Just Might

Great book on getting published. Very real, in your face, and honest. I found it profoundly motivating. It helped my set my expectations correctly. You should check it out. It's written by a publisher who really has an interest in helping writers.

5. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Really. You would rather suffer and have depression than to be successful and happy?

I didn't understand that.

And to the above poster, I'm trying to figure out what that really has to do with what I was asking. I wasn't asking about getting published, but if the current time or near future is a good time to get published.

6. Eli

Eli New Member

Success doesn't always equal happiness y'know.

As for me, I'd be happy to just have someone say, 'You did it, it was great'.

7. Plushii

Plushii New Member

Well, I can't speak for Maia, but personally I would be absolutely miserable if any of my stories got published. I'd constantly be worried sick if people liked it or not. Plus I don't want money for my writings. Most of my writing is done therapeutically, to help me feel real. I don't feel right publishing something so personal and close to me for money. XD

One can be happy without success. Plus, success is different for different people.

As for you question...I have no idea. People will always be buying books, so I guess any time is a good time to be published.

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

People will keep buying books even in hard times. The only difference is that most buyers will be more selective in what they buy which is why you have to make sure your writing is top quality.

9. lostpyrate

lostpyrate New Member

First, I totally understood your question. The book deals with that question numerous times. I think the answer is simply this - getting published anytime is a good time to get published: good economy or bad economy.

Second, you make it sound like getting published is a matter of choice, like you have much say in the matter. The odds of getting published are nearly one in a million, and you're quite lucky if you get that far. Just because you've finished a manuscript doesn't mean anything, except that you've finished something. The book, again, deals with that.

Finally, success does not equal happiness, just as not getting published does not equal depression. You should write because you love it and find fulfillment in it, not just for "success". Again, the book deals with that.

I don't like being harsh, but when someone effectively calls me ignorant, I get a little offended.

10. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Who called you ignorant is must've been yourself because I didn't say anything like that and I was referring to success in general as an example of your goal of achieving happiness and if if you reach that that is success. In that respect it does equal happiness.

Getting published is a matter of choice. You just simply say if you do or don't want it and if you do, you go for it until you get it.

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've never tried to get anything published in my life, and I don't see myself attempting it any time soon. Right now, I write simply because I like it, I like the way it feels when I'm creating something and I love reading the story back to myself when I want to read (even if I myself wrote) it. I started out writing as I wanted to tell myself my own stories based on the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, though now I do my own stuff, the reason why I don't try to puplish is the same. I don't think I'm THAT good nor do I want any success from it, writing for me is a pass time.

12. TWErvin2

S-wo,

Having a determination to succeed is important, but saying that (paraphrasing here) getting published is a matter of choice because if you try hard enough for long enough it will happen...well, it just isn't true for every writer (and I dare say for many many writers) out there.

One does have the choice not to get published, simply by not submitting.

Then again, there is the definition of 'getting published'. What one writer deems 'getting published' is not what another writer defines it as.

Terry

13. mammamaia

actually, that 12 [12 to 18, is the generally accepted norm] month figure refers to the time it takes AFTER you sign a publishing contract, not from when you start submitting, which can go on for a year or more before you're lucky enough to snag a publisher, if you ever are... and if you go for an agent first, you can add another year or more to the total...

a year from the moment you start submitting to agents to seeing your book in the shops would be beyond miraculous...

who said i'm suffering or depressed?... i'm neither... i divested myself of 'self' over a dozen years ago, so no longer have any wants or needs or goals/ambitions... thus, no suffering [on a personal level, though the state of the world and humankind is a constant source of despair], no depression [on any level]...

it means that if you really have a passion to write, it won't matter if you're successful or not... or if the economy is 'right' for selling what you write... you'll just write anyway, because you can't imagine not writing... get it now?

see what i said about that... besides, it'll be 2 years or more after you finish it, before your book gets out in the bookstores, IF it's good enough and you're lucky enough to snag a publisher, so the current economy is irrelevant, isn't it?

14. The Bard of Wigan

The Bard of Wigan New Member

Personally this is meaningless to how I interpret writing. First and foremost I write for me, in fact I only write for me. Money, success and even for that matter the validation of others comes a very very poor last.

It's nice when others appreciate your work, but if they don't, so what. As long as I like what I've done and I know that I couldn't do any better at that particular time then I'm happy.

Writing is a journey, were you learn and grow.

I'd doubt anyones true motivation if they are thinking about money and success.

15. mammamaia

i don't see why... those are the major motivators for many who write... probably even the vast majority...

16. Mello

Mello New Member

Writing for yourself just seems kind of sad, unless you're trying to document certain parts of your life or something. But if you're writing stories just to read them back to yourself...

I find it very hard to believe that any writer doesn't want other people to read and enjoy their stories. It seems very selfish, for one, especially if you are talented. Of course, we could get into this whole debate about whether released art belongs to the public or its creator...

And as for the failing economy and its effect on book sales, I wholly agree with maia. Movies and books are becoming people's new luxury items in a reality that frankly sucks a bit right now.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever have the drive to get a novel published, although I could see myself trying to get my short stories in a magazine. I DO want people to see my work, thousands, absolutely, but I guess I just don't have something good enough to put in a novel and carry it with me into the depths of publishing hell just yet.

17. The Bard of Wigan

Maybe in your circles Maia, but not in mine and I don't comment on the majority as I don't know them.

18. The Bard of Wigan

I think we have misunderstood each other. What I mean is that when I write, I do it because it is something I enjoy, I don't sit down to write something with what anyone else has in mind or if it will be successful or whether anyone else will like it.

When it is complete then of course I hope others will enjoy it to, I suppose this is success in a way but I still stand by my previous comment about being in it for money.

Bard x

19. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I've always thought that writing is a form of communication, so I'd agree with this. As for the confidence to move beyond a few published short stories and academic stuff, in other words, publish a novel, YES and YES. My lifelong dream... But my life isn't on hold while I wait. The dream is just a little guiding star beckoning me on...

20. TWErvin2

Bard of Wigan,

I cannot speak to your circles, but of writers I've encountered, online and in person (at conferences for example), it appears that the majority have the intention of seeing success and selling their work--articles, novels, nonfiction books, short stories, etc.

What is wrong with seeking writing success through selling one's works? Why wouldn't you trust them? I submit my work to paying markets, and have so far had some minimal success, so that makes me less trustworthy or gives you cause to doubt me and what I have to say about writing becuase I strive to sell my work?

Does this doubt or distrust carry over to cover artists who are paid for their work, to the barber, hardware store owner or convience market owner, who seeks to make a profit/living from their endeavors?

Terry

21. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I just love a good cynic! Makes me feel the world is spinning the way it should be...LOL

Bard - you are certainly welcome to your opinion and I respect your courage in expressing it, knowing your position could offend some people. I would only ask you this...is it possible that "true motivation" for writing, and appreciation for financial success, might not be mutually exclusive? Can't a person possess both values simultaneously?

Personally, I believe there are three groups of writers...1) those who write solely for the love of crafting a story, 2) some skilled writers who choose to pump out formula based novels solely for a buck (although, sometimes life dictates such a choice) and 3) authors with a sincere love of writing and who would be thrilled to make a living doing what they enjoy most...writing. Is it so hard to believe that a passionate writer cannot also enjoy or desire commercial success too?

22. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

It looks to me, like reading books is becoming a serious favorite past time of most Americans. I've been amazed at this because I thought the internet, television and movies would win out. But the fact remains that those three are very limited. You can't pack them up and take them with you quite the same (lose a book, you're out 12 bucks/lose a laptop! Yikes.) And you can put a book down at any moment and know it will be right where you left it waiting for you. Not to mention there is soooo much more depth and satisfaction that comes from reading, as apposed to watching a flick.

My husband and I go to the book store for dates. Because we love books that much. And it's always crowded there...which is unfortunate for people on 'dates'.

I think cover design sells a book as much as anything nowadays (at least at first). So make sure you have a good one. Reputation will take over after that.

23. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I wish it was like that in the United Kingdom.

The last time I seen someone else reading, she was 12 and the book was Twilight. ¬.¬

24. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

Don't you guys have Border's and Barnes and Noble's with the coffee shops in the front? Very big hang out in Los Angeles. Better than spending time at Starbucks because you get coffee AND books.

25. mammamaia

duped by site error