1. P.V. Moyer

P.V. Moyer Member

Ahhhh Brain Overload

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by P.V. Moyer, Oct 18, 2012.

Knowing that it's my own decision, I'm looking for a bit of advice. My brain hurts!

My current projects:

Around 20-30,000 word novel I've been working on somewhat consistently for a month or two. I love the storyline and the characters, but the last week or so I sit down to write and have less than nothing, in fact I get sick of it after a few sentences.

A 900~ word short story I was going to submit to Writer's Digest Short Story Contest. Though now, I like the base plot to the point that I want to use the idea as a novel.

Two difference base plots, for 2 seperate projects, with a first chapter for each. Again, I like the plot and what I've done so far.

The last few days, when I look at ANY of them, and try to relax and just write, I have nothing. No further ideas for anything, no desire to even write for the sake of getting words on the page.

So, I went from 4 ideas, a 1/4 written novel, an amazing short story if I do say so myself, to no ability or desire to continue any of them. I like them all, and I think my brain is overloading as I try to figure out what to focus on first, and I hate wasting time when I should be writing on thinking about writing.

HELP! =D

2. Thromnambular

Thromnambular Member

I've been involved in just about every kind of artistic endeavor, and this happens to most people. They look at their work for so long that they become sick of it.

It doesn't matter if it's a painting, a sculpture, a poem, or a novel. If you spend enough time looking at the same thing, it starts to feel boring.

That, I think, is why you don't feel compelled to continue working on those projects.

If it was me, I'd get my mind completely off the novel for a couple days or a week, then get back to work. I'd choose the novel because it's closest to completion.

3. P.V. Moyer

P.V. Moyer Member

I was thinking the novel myself as well, mainly because I've got the characters developed, plot and setting developed, and if I pushed myself to think about redoing it at the moment I'd probably explode. Taking a few days off may be a good idea, I just picked up a new book, so would give me time to read it. Thanks for the input. =)

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Many years ago, I remember reading an article about Alice McDermott ("The Bigamist's Daughter", "That Night", "Of Weddings and Wakes"), in which she was asked what she was working on next. Her answer was something like, "Actually, I have 4 different projects going, much to the annoyance of my editor." It seems she couldn't focus on any single one. As I recall, it was another few years before she finally came out with "Charming Billy". So, even seasoned writers are prone to distraction.

Taking a few days or a week or more, if needed, is never a bad idea. Use the time to recharge your batteries and just take a break. Then go back and see on which project you have the clearest vision of the final product and go with that. From your last post, it sounds like that's the novel. But whatever you choose, try to lock out the distractions of other projects.

Good luck.

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

I would either pick the one you like the most, or if they're all about equal, pull one at random and work only on that one. Shove the rest into the background. Sometimes it's like spring cleaning (for me anyway) - there are so many projects I really want to do, but it gets overwhelming looking at the whole list (which saps the enthusiasm quickly). So I choose one - like washing the windows - and ignore the rest until those are done. Not only do I no longer feel overwhelmed but I have a feeling of accomplishment that spurs me on to the rest.

6. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

I agree that you should take a few days off. If you want to feel like you are doing something writing-related, pick up a few books about writing -- there was a thread here about really good and useful writing books a couple months ago, and a lot of people add to it, so the thread isn't that old.