1. Elistara

Elistara Member

Ahhhhh! Too many ideas swimming around, why can't I write faster!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Elistara, Aug 25, 2009.

Excuse my post, not sure if it is in the correct forum, but I have too many story ideas swimming around in my head, and cannot get them all on paper fast enough, so can't write anything at all, it seems! Totally overwhelmed.
    How to deal with overload on the ideas front?

I just came up with a beautiful plot twist for the ending of my book, which would actually, as it turns out, lead beautifully into the possibility of a sequel if I so chose to want to do it, but there is so much new stuff going on, and I wrote all the basics of it down so I won't lose it.. but for the first time, the ideas of the basis for another book has come into my head, and my head doesn't know which to think about now! I did also write down the new story ideas, trying not to stay on it too long, though it doesn't seem to matter how long I stayed on it, my subconscious seems to have adopted it as a new task as well!

With this new plot twist for my current story though, I also have to go back and edit a few things in the story I have written, so I have a lot to do all of a sudden. It has all come to me within 24 hours, and have been unable to write anything for the 2 days since I came up with all of it just due to the pure excitement of how well it is all fitting together and how much I feel like I have to do now!

OMG So I apologize if this is in the wrong forum or whatever, but I needed to vent somehow, maybe ask for advice from others on how they handle such situations? Because I know I have seen others say they work on multiple stories at a time, and I have no clue how you can keep them all separate in your heads. I don't seem to be able to work that way... working better with all my focus on one story is almost too much for me when I come up with so much info for the story at once.

Thanks

2. Twisted Inversely

Twisted Inversely Senior Member

My imagination. But I drop by the real world for m
    Don't force yourself to stay focused on one project, write what you feel like writing, at least in the short term.

Eventually the excitement will wear off and you wont feel the urge to do all projects at once. When this happens pick your favorite story and continue with it.

Hope that helps.

3. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Senior Member Contributor

I agree with Twisted. Its probably best to write what you feel like writing at the time. I have also had these mysterious bouts of simultaneous story inspiration where i didn't know what to do with all the ideas i had swirling in my head. In the end i would become so confused and not write anything leading to a dangerous spell of writers block or in my case, procrastination.

But yeah, just write. It's better to write something when you have the ideas than having nothing to look at when the inspiration's scarce.

4. Elistara

Elistara Member

Yeah, but that is my problem. I can't decide which one to write.. I mean, I don't have a plot for my next idea, just a base world / idea that has huge potential, but is also in need of a definite plot... and I am more of one to want to finish what I started first before starting something else, focusing on one project at a time, so starting the next story conflicts with me in that way too. Maybe I just need to give myself some more time, another day or so, then sit down and run through my original story doing edits and what not to help me regain my focus.
    Thanks =)

5. Operaghost

Operaghost Contributing Member

I understand your pain and struggle as i also have literally hundreds of ideas floating around in my head and this can sometimes lead to peices being uncompleted, (i am currently seemingly working on several short stories, 3 feature lenght scripts, a novel and trying to develop a tv series (the latter is pretty much done development wise i just have to write the dang thing) although am considering just trying to sell the pitch (i have two whole seasons planned out completly) However it can also be a good thing, afetr all as a writer then inspiration is always a good thing, and you can never have too many ideas, (take a look at Pratchetts discworld series for instance, still going strong!)

6. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Contributing Member Contributor

You could be one of those tortured, prolific geniuses like Mozart or Frank Zappa and write and write and write all the amazing ideas that come to you and let it totally consume you and ruin all your personal relationships and leave massive amounts of unpublished work behind when you die cuz you were too busy writing to bother getting them all published. That'd be sweet.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rei

Rei Contributing Member Contributor

You could start with some freewriting and see where thay takes you. It could lead you to the idea you should be focusing on. Even writers who do need to have more than one roject going do need a certain amount of focus.

8. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Bullet points~!
    Bullet points! Bullet points! Bullet points~![/sing-song voice]

Or a mind-map =P

Mind-maps have actually been proven (ha!) to help people develop complex or sprawling ideas while still keeping a rein on things. If you're worried about the whole thing overtaking you, get a big piece of paper and map your ideas out with points to iterate the finer details.

Doing this could help you figure out which direction is more realistic/appealing/dramatic/*good*

I know it sounds dorkish, but give it a shot =)

9. seta

seta Contributing Member

A student went to his master one morning, asking why the master had not been teaching the student.

"Master, why are you not teaching me lately?"

The master looked at his own tea, and looked at his student's tea. The master began pouring more tea into the student's cup until it was over flowing.

"Master! What are you doing? Tea is everywhere!"

"You must drink all of your own tea before I can give you any more"

~~~

Do only one thing at a time.

10. MumblingSage

MumblingSage Contributing Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    Get a little notebook, and write down plot ideas in it: one plot per page. I generally write a short summary and possible a 'tagline' for the plot, plus any names, ideas, or dialogue snippits I think would work in it.

Then I go back to working on my current WIP.

When I'm finished with the story I've got, I take out the notebook and see what I want to write next. If the idea is as good as it seemed at the time, I'll write it then.

11. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

What MumblingSage says (or mumbles) makes good sense. New ideas always seem more attractive, simply because of the novelty they possess. Write them down and check back later to see if they're still any good.

I know how you feel - the "wow" moment of getting a fresh idea can become addictive.