Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

AI ethical dilema

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Jack Asher, May 21, 2014.

From Erik Sofge: Should a robotic car be programed to kill it's driver in a crash if the alternative is to kill TWO people in another car?

Presumably the cars are able to communicate and both are aware that a crash is unavoidable.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

No. What if the two drivers are each over 90 and close to death and the one driver is a young woman in her prime? What if the one person is pregnant?

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  3. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Exactly the tack I was about to take. How does a robot assign value to life? And more to the point, should it be allowed to?

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

"It happens quickly—more quickly than you, being human, can fully process.

A front tire blows, and your autonomous SUV swerves. But rather than veering left, into the opposing lane of traffic, the robotic vehicle steers right. Brakes engage, the system tries to correct itself, but there’s too much momentum. Like a cornball stunt in a bad action movie, you are over the cliff, in free fall."

I'm not quite sure how this scenario constitutes as a definitive ultimatum. Miss ethics professor is assuming that the AI can't avoid a mishap if it goes right, and she is also assuming the person will absolutely survive if it veers left. What if the bigger car smashes into the little car, then the truck behind it smashes it into both of them? What if the person in the AI car gets unlucky and loses half his face, then commits suicide anyway, but only after having to see the look on his wife and children's faces?

Better ethics question: Should people not smart enough to come up with technology themselves be allowed to raise pointless hypotheticals about it?

5. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

Whether or not the person will survive any action is unimportant. The question is how is the car supposed to evaluate it's risk options when (not if) it comes time to program these cars.

123456789 likes this.
  6. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

It's like I, Robot! The thought of cars making their own decisions gives me the willies.

7. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

And this is the reason the lawyers will smother the autonomous vehicle industry in its crib. Not necessarily a bad thing, sez me.

8. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributing Member Contributor

If the AI systems in each car can communicate with each other, this is not a single AI system making a decision concerning one car but the combination of two systems making one decision concerning how to minimize casualties in the inevitable accident.

If the robotic cars are driving so badly that they come anywhere near having an unavoidable accident with each other, their AI systems are inadequate for basic driving decisions let alone ethical ones.

Okon and 123456789 like this.
  9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Lawyers will NEVER smother a technology that will be earn them millions in litigation income.

10. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributing Member Contributor

Why do I get the impression that the main programming ethical dillema of any near-future traffic AI will have more to do with the insurance companies than with pregnant women and wise old men :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.