1. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

How to Write Debilitating Injury

Discussion in 'Research' started by MusingWordsmith, Oct 13, 2016.

Hey, newbie here, wanting to see if anyone more knowledgeable than her has any thoughts.

So, for the purpose of my story, one of my MC's has a debilitating injury likely caused by some sort or medieval type weapon (aka no guns). He's a die-hard rebel so it'd have to be serious enough that he can't fight for his cause anymore, but I do want him to be able to get around on his own somewhat. Thoughts from someone who knows how this stuff works better than I do?

I appreciate it, thank you!

2. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

So... missing limb? Blinded? Deaf? Crippled or paralyzed?

What cause does he serve? That could help determine a good injury.

3. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Is it a medieval type setting to go along with those medieval type weapons? I'd definitely put some thought into what kind of medical care is available, as in what kind of debilitating injury he could actually survive (if there's magic or something I guess it's not as much of an issue). His leg could be injured somewhat superficially but get infected and due to the lack of medical knowledge, it was just lopped off above the knee or so to stave off gangrene.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Did you get him shot in the knee with an arrow? :p That's not very nice. :D

Shallow cuts from a blade, or an arrow to an extremity should do it, and still keep them mobile.
    As long as the wound is treated as needed, and they cleaned the wound free of debris or an arrow
    shaft and tip they should be alright. So as long as he doesn't succumb to infection any number of
    wounds would be debilitating, like an arrow to the knee. He could get around with a crutch(es)
    and get along just fine, though not very quickly. If he needs speed, then wound an arm. Well that
    is all I got in Medieval medical problems that won't necessarily result in amputation or death if
    kept clean.

Good luck with this one.
    PrincessTreatment.jpg :supergrin:

5. MusingWordsmith

Wow, got some nice comments already! Okay, to narrow it down a bit in answer to questions.

His cause is more of a hero complex, honestly.

I've already got a couple amputee characters so I'd like to try something else. Blinded, leaning towards no because I do want him somewhat self-sufficient. Deaf, hm, might have to think about that some. No magic, don't really want that, and for medical care, hm. Not sure, maybe somewhat better than actual medieval? It is a medieval-ish, although I'm thinking maybe moving it out to an Asia-like setting? I'm kinda planning on just going with the flow, see how things go and whatnot.

Would a shallow cut still work after he'd healed? The idea is that he's already somewhat recovered from his wound, it's just serious enough that he'll never fully recover.

6. sarah_we

sarah_we New Member

You could go for a broken bone somewhere that was never properly set and has grown back together in the wrong way. Maybe even a rib and now he has problems with breathing? That means fighting would be hard for him now with the lack of fresh air. Or maybe something in the shoulder and he can't get the arm up high enough to wield a sword anymore. That could also be something he struggles with for a time. Something that he keeps fighting but can't overcome.

7. Caveriver

Caveriver Active Member

I would suggest a slipped disk, or misalignment of the spine, due to impact injuries sustained in battle? Speaking from experience: it's a pain that can range from debilitating to manageable with "interesting" posture & ways of moving. It is possible to ride/work/exist with this condition- I lived with my first misalignment for a year with no treatment. It can be frustrating though, because it is not they type of injury the untrained eye can SEE. I doubt know of any sort of chiropractic treatment in the time period you are going for. I'm imagining a gnarly battle injury- morning star or the like- to the back. Superficial wound has healed (with amounts of scar tissue to your liking), but leaving behind a mysterious pain (explained by the resulting misalignment of the spine). Made worse in armor, of course, as with bearing any additional weight, but made slightly better by wearing a hand-fashioned lace-up brace. (Oooo... I see some manly embarrassment here, having to wear a corset like a wench, just to get by...)

sarah_we likes this.
  8. MusingWordsmith

Oooooh, I like your suggestion BirdsDontCry. That is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. And yeah, no chiropractors in the world I've got going so this works so perfectly!

sarah_we, and everyone else, thanks for your input! I appreciate the prompt responses!

sarah_we and Caveriver like this.