1. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

airplanes/airlines. an offer of assistance.

Discussion in 'Research' started by Rob40, Apr 30, 2016.

One thing that bothers me in novels and stories is a lack of understanding in a part of the world building. I fly for a living and if you need any insight as to how something in the aviation industry works or if something is possible, If you have characters flying or riding or performing actions within the aviation sphere, I can tell you as much as I know. Please send me a PM or response here and i'll address it as best that I can. Thanks everyone!

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    That is neat. All the flying in my WIP is military, and in space. But that's cool you fly in real life. :)

3. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

I can even comment some on that as well. Watever i can do to help the realism of scenes.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    You can try. There are some propulsion systems in use that would take a darn good physicist to explain, and that isn't me. :p Not that I could even begin to understand how a Sub-Space drive works in the slightest, let alone the other systems used. All I know is that it would take way to long to get anywhere if the standard method we all know of for space travel as we understand it. Have fun. :p

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

This is a really great offer! I don't have anything in mind right now, but it's always useful to have a resource, and really generous of you to offer your time.

Thanks!

6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

WTF?

Are there two Post #3s on this thread?

Has the universe skipped a beat, somewhere?

matwoolf likes this.
  7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Are there any good aviation ghost stories? As a kid I was obsessed by the Everglades crash and its 'ghosts.' Any scary legends that you tell to newbies? Daughter's training as cabin crew. :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

The ValueJet 592 crash began unfortunately with hazardous materials in the cargo hold next to items that were caustic and dangerous once ignited. That particular cargo hold used supressed fire by sealing off all oxygen and thereby extinguishing the fire from lack of air. But...what they put inside was oxygenerating canisters used for the passenger masks that drop from the ceiling...so oxygen was fed by those devices and there was no way to stop the fire. They were also not deactivated as promised. When one activated, the others did too and they generate serious heat. hot enough to ignite surrounding materials. In this case, a tire also in the cargo hold became hot enough to explode. The cargo hold was on fire and burned through the cabin floor, taking out the flight controls as well. So it plummeted into the everglades nearly vertically, the flight crew unable to control it.

Now, Ghost stories about planes are fun. Here's a link I found and perhaps you did too about that subject. there's fun ones out there but if interested, it wouldn't be too hard to plot a gfood ghostie piece around an air crash, be it small plane or space liner, ala Event Horizon.

On a lighter note, your daughter is in FA training? Great! It's such a fun job with fun people. There's many things they can do to play tricks on her. I so nearly got a new attendant to take an air sample from the back of the cabin with a trash bag to compare to the air quality in the front....a senior FA stopped her from jumping around trying to catch air in a bag. Another one is to tell her to flush the toilet in the back every ten minutes or the system would clog up....where the passengers would wonder what's wrong with her. Theres several things to do. I hope she has a wonderful time. The travel benefits are astounding as well once she gets the hang of the ID90 systems. Imagine a trip to Vietnam for $35. It's beautiful there.

matwoolf likes this.
  9. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I think we're talking different 'airplanes,' I'll go see, keep thinking Flight 714, but that might be Tintin - was 592 where the parts were used on other planes...with consequences? This memory is from era of Bermuda Triangle, Spontaneous Human Combustion, Witchcraft in the Orkney Islands, Kindness of Strangers - all early held beliefs of mine.

Thanks for your prank stories, can't believe I said I had daughter on the internet, my fears concerning unsavoury suitors overwhelm me, will sharpen axe tonight x.

10. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

Just checked. Tintin's adventure flight 714, landed in indonesia. 592 was moving spare parts.