1. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

May 20, 2012

Alain Robbe-Grillet on form

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by peachalulu, Mar 13, 2014.

Was reading an essay by Grillet on form and thought I'd share a few bits. It's really interesting to see another perspective after Elizabeth Bowen, especially if you know how avant-garde Grillet is. While Bowen's advice can speak to every writer, Grillet is a little more unconventional.
    I agree with this to a point. Usually when I sit down to write a story, I'm more concerned with the angle I'm going to take writing it than the actual plot which can bloom from this.

This is actually quite enlightening. Coming from a family of artists and having met a lot of artists, I can see clearly what he means when message can come in and cloud the work. The work is most brilliant when the artist is not out to make a message but it's organically his - his feelings, his emotions, his beliefs - they eep out naturally. But when he's striving to make a message the work can become compromised as the artist becomes more concerned with being not only understood but agreed with.

Okay, this is a bit of a gloomy mind-blower, peppered with Grillet's politics. Don't know if I agree with all of it. Abandoning form is difficult to say the least and I've read some of Grillet novel's they're different, but not exactly page-turners - lol. But he's got an intriguing concept nonetheless. And I've been dying to check out Nathalie Sarrute's Tropisms.

If you want to check out the essay - I think it can be found in Google books by typing in Alain Robbe-Grillet On Several Obsolete Ideas. They'll give you sample pages but I think the whole thing can be read.