1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

How to Catch a Stray Cat

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Steerpike, Feb 18, 2014.

I have a black cat in my neighborhood that has come around for a few months now. I always leave some food out for him. The last couple of days, he has been holding one of his front legs up and won't put any weight on it. Even when he runs, he won't use it. I'd like to take him to the vet to get it checked out, but I can't catch him (even with the bad leg).

I've tried sneaking up on him with a large towel while he is eating, hoping to scoop him up into it so he is caught and can't squirm, but he won't go for it. I put some food in the rear of one of the carriers I use for my cats, but he just gives me a look like "Nice try, asshole," and goes on his merry way.

Any thoughts on how to best capture the animal safely? I don't want to get bit or scratched to pieces and I also don't want to further injure the animal.

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Catching a feral cat can be dangerous for both you and the cat, as you've noted. I'd contact your local animal shelter/SPCA and let them handle it. It may also be a temporary injury (like a strain) which will heal itself with time. If he seems to be fine otherwise, it might be best to let him alone for a few days and see if it works itself out. If not, then contact the above.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

It doesn't have a collar but overall looks healthy (apart from the leg). I don't want animal control to take it if belongs to some family in the neighborhood. Although if it does have owners they aren't taking care of the animal well. I suppose I can wait it out. Except for not walking on it the cat doesn't appear to be suffering.

4. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Animal control will use one of those poles with a loop on the end of it to catch him and put him in a cage without serious injury, but unless you plan on adopting him, they will give him a week or so in the shelter and that's it.

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Well, that depends on the shelter. Our local shelter would put them to sleep after 10 days (that's why I ended up with yet another dog), but the county is a no-kill shelter.

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Raccoon trap, they sell them but you can also rent one from some equipment rental places.

7. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

Does it ever let you near enough to pat it??

8. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I caught a stray with a box trap. I put food and water in a box, with a door at the front that when I pulled a string it snapped shut. The cat will go nuts, and you need patience, and it helps if the cat is hiding nearby and not roaming...

9. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Can you contact a vet or a cat rescue group in your area? One of my neighbors is very involved with a local cat rescue group and they will do things like trap strays to bring them to be spayed, or receive medical attention. They use a particular type of trap. Maybe one of those organizations (or a vet) might help you catch him.