1. Chivalrous Tart

Chivalrous Tart New Member

Expanding the "Additional Information" in your profile

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Chivalrous Tart, Jul 30, 2011.

I'm sure this must have been suggested at some point, but some of the sub categories allow only 100 hundred or so characters. Is it possible to expand some of them? For instance, I think it is silly to have one favorite author or book, and you should be allowed to post as much info as the "Biography" section.

I'm kind of new to the forums, so maybe there is a legitimate reason for this.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

You have room to list more than one book. I'd say you could list about 10 books or authors. I guess it's probably an issue with wanting it all to fit on one page without having to add scrollbars and such, but that's just a guess. I agree, it would be nice though.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The profile isn't intended to contain your life story. Many of the fields aren't really needed at all right now. They would be better off placed in an optional "About Me" blog entry in your member blog. But member blogs didn't exist in the forum software when the profile was designed.

For suggestions of this type, I think your best bet would be to create such a member blog entry, and point to it in, say, the Biography section of the profile.

But perhaps adding a blog link field to the profile explicitly for a personal biography would be a good idea. That would allow a lot more flexibility for favorite books and authors, religious and political preferences other than those listed, etc. Rather thna a general link field, I'd favor an option to create a blog entry, link it, and open it for editing.