1. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributing Member Contributor

Aled’s progress journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Aled James Taylor, Aug 28, 2015.

My plan is to write a hard science fiction series of three books. I know this sounds ambitious but I now have draft versions of the first two books and I’m outlining the third, so my goal is, I think, within reach.

Book 1, Recovery: The MC wakes up and is surprised to discover that he has an artificial body and two hundred years have passed since his date of birth. He can’t remember much, he discovers, with the reader, all about the changes that have taken place in society.

The main theme is that of discovering identity, meaning and purpose in life. This is echoed by the more general struggle in society, to form beneficial rules and systems. The role of religion in both quests is significant.

The setting is loosely based on the story I submitted to the 2013 science fiction short story contest, although the story and general writing are now very different. One problem I’m facing is that since the MC spends much of his time trying to find his way in an unfamiliar world, he tends to take the advice from others, and this presents him as passive and submissive, which are not good qualities for an MC.

Book 2, Recovery 2: This is much more of an adventure story and is set in a virtual world. The main theme is an exploration of dominant/submissive relationships, both personal and as embodied in the traditions of society, and how advanced technology might provide options for relationships that would require decisions. Another theme explored, is way religious beliefs and practices can develop from a moderate beginning to become extreme and radical.

Book 3, Recovery 3: This ties up loose ends and develops some of the themes of the previous books. I haven’t progressed very far with this one.

My next goal is to finish the first draft of the third book, so I’ll have an overview of the whole series.

2. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributing Member Contributor

Rather than concentrate on writing more text for my third book, I've decided to consider the series as a whole and re-arrange sections accordingly.

I'm working on my second book at the moment. This includes several short stories that I can either write sequentially, or splice together by having a sequence of rather unrelated events, each moving one of the stories along. I'm not sure which way to go. If I write them sequentially, the book may appear as a collection of short stories. If I splice them together, the actions would be disjointed and shift awkwardly form one issue to another. Either way, events would be chronological. Which would be most realistic? Which would be preferable to read?