1. Raven

Raven Banned

Honour Guard

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Raven, Jan 1, 2008.

[​IMG]

Commissar Ibram Gaunt and the Tanith First-and-Only are ordered to defend a shrine-world, vital to the moral of Imperial forces in the Sabbat system. But the forces of Chaos have set their own sights on this prize and will stop at nothing to claim it for their dark masters.

Well. Ive just finished this beauty of a book. I was pleasantly pleased the story line was amazing the story is like a military road trip as the Tanith first and only travel across through jungle to marsh land to rocky roads into the high hills and finally into the snow covered mountains. The action was intense from start to finish and the discription in moments felt as though I was there.

I enjoyed this book and would recomend it to anyone. especially those that are fans of the 40k universe.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm a bit of a fan of Dan Abnett (I'm actually shocked, I didn't know anyone else on this site knew about Warhammer 40K) and I have to say I agree. Dan Abnett is a pritty good writer, though I oftan find him to be very varbose at times, he can sure write a damn good battle sence.

I also recomend the Horus Herosy books. I think he wrote the first one and I'm reading it now.

Honour Guard was very very good, and I like the Tenith stories. They are very enjoyable.

3. Raven

Raven Banned

Ah yes the Horus Heresy. I'm a very big fan of the world of warhammer 40,000
    And 30,000 (The Horus Heresy)

Dan Abnett will be writing a few more for that saga before its climax. And he'll also be kick starting the events off after the Heresy with the Harrowing (The events of the legions and the Imperium After Horus falls)

Dans Latest installement.
    [​IMG]

A Great War is coming, and it will engulf the Imperium of Man. The Space Marines of the Alpha Legion, the last and most secretive of all the Astartes brotherhoods, arrive on a heathen world to support the Imperial Army in a pacification campaign against strange and uncanny forces. But what drives the Alpha Legion? Can they be trusted, and what side will they choose when the Great War begins? Loyalties are put to the test, and the cunning schemes of an alien intelligence revealed in this latest instalment of the ground-breaking SF series, as the fate of mankind hangs in the balance.

But Horus Rising is an excellent book
    [​IMG]

Have you read the other stories that follow on from Horus Rising.

False Gods (Graham McNiell)
    Galaxy In Flames (Ben Counter)
    Flight Of The Eisenstien (James Swallow) and my favourite book from the series so far
    Fulgrim (Graham McNiell)
    Descent Of Angels (Michel Scanlon)

4. Lemex

I'm half way though Horus Rising now, so I havn't no.
    I'm told I should be reading them in order of realised, but they can be a bit confusing at times.
    This true?

5. Raven

Raven Banned

To read in order yes you need to read the first 4 in order
    Horus Rising
    False Gods
    Galaxy In Flames
    Flight Of The Eisenstien (My personal favourite.)

Those four follow on from one another literally cover the early days. straight down to Garros daring escape in Flight Of The Eisenstien.

Now Fulgrim and Descent of Angels don't really fit into the following cycle.
    Fulgrim goes back to the beginging and follows his descent into Chaos right up to the Istvaan V battle.

Descent of Angels however goes back to the Dark Angels before Primarch Lion El Johnson is found. And focus's on the knights of Caliban. Then it goes into the first Dark Angels Mission with Jonson. The story does not fit into the Horus Heresy what so ever simply because its not part of the Heresy. So if you feel like skipping a book thats the one to skip.

Legion however goes back to recent events

And the next two to follow are

Horus Heresy: Battle For The Abyss

Horus Heresy: Mechanicum

6. Lemex

Thanks for the advice. :D

The history to 40K is amazing, don't you think?

You ever played that Dawn of War?

7. Raven

Raven Banned

yeah all three and soon the new one soul storm.