1. sharee

sharee New Member

help please?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by sharee, Jul 13, 2007.

hi. it's my first time here..
    :( i've been experiencing depression lately because, unlike before, there are no more ideas or plots that come into my mind.. i can't even remember the last story i ever written, or even when it was that i have written it. so the bottomline is, i wanna write.. really, i have all the drive and energy to do so, the only problem is, i cannot come up with WHAT to write. and after much time, i really get frustrated with myself.
    i was wondering if anybody could help me out about this dilemma.. 'coz im dying to write.. please help me out..
    thanks a lot in advance. :)

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Okay, writer's block. I have a few suggestions for you.

Firstly, simply sit down and write. I know it sounds like a stupid thing to say, but sometimes I find that if I just sit down and write anything, be it my thoughts at the time, what I can see out of the window, or even a detailed description of the stain on my desk, it can sometimes turn into a flood of its own accord.

Another idea would be to take a walk. Early in the morning, or in the evening perhaps, and watch the sunrise or sunset. That's helped me a few times. Just being alone and quiet whilst walking through nature can inspire you like nothing else.

Read anything you can get your hands on. It's perfectly acceptable to get your inspiration from other authors' works. That's not to say copy, but if you read a vampire novel that you really enjoy, why not try your own vampire novel or short story?

Try something like the short story contest on this site, or even the image short story contest. If you have a theme to write around, and something to specifically write for, then it can help you get back into writing.

I hope that helps a bit, and that you can get back to writing soon. We've all been there, and we all know how horrible it is.

3. goodtik

goodtik New Member

well, I'm not exactly sure that its writers block she is talking about. It sounds to me more like real depression.
    I think you need to figure our what is going on in your life right now which is making you forget everything.
    settle your personal affaris before sitting down to write with a clear and open mind. Dont force yourself to write until you are ready to do so with all your heart and main.
    If it really IS block youre talking about, then I still say dont force it. Tell yourself that there is no such thing as writers block, because it really is a reification.
    finally, she may be talking about having too, too many ideas for her next story or poem. That is a problem which I had. Now, I keep track of all my new plot line ideas by saving each one as a 'sticky' on my desk-top. I keep re-evaluating the sequence in which they will be tackled. Keep everything nice and organized, prioritized, and you will alwasy know what project to work on next.
    good luck in any event.

4. sharee

sharee New Member

hey, thanks.. i actually got something to write ABOUT and FOR..

see here.. im part of my university publication and recently (the truth is it's just earlier today) i was given my own column space!! im so psyched right now.. what u said was right.. when i've got a theme or a topic to expand on in my writing.. and when i got something to write for (plus a strict deadline from my senior editors!!) i really get to control things better.. thanks.!!!:p

5. sharee

sharee New Member

you have a point..

i know it would sound obscure but.. i think it's sort of BOTH of the writer's block as others might call it and a bit of depression as you stated.. i've settled everything already and i think i'm more ready to write now.. thanks..:p

6. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

Good for you. I'm glad to see it all worked out. Free writing is the best way to clear your head and get some junk on paper.

Sometimes it's best just to sit down and start jotting. You'd be surprised with the structure it takes.