1. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Doing a little bit of research

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ILTBY, May 8, 2008.

I'm a very passionate dog lover and have put quite a bit of time into studying dog ownership, behaviour, temperament, training, etc. I always find it very interesting to hear about other people's dogs and how they look after them, where they came from, etc, so I thought I'd do a bit of research on here. Give as little or as much information as you'd like-

Where did your dog(s) come from? (Pet store, pound, shelter, registered breeder, backyard breeder, etc)

Do/es your dog(s) have any training?

Would you say you have much understanding of your dog's temperament, behaviour, etc?

What breed or cross-breed is/are your dog(s)?

Do you think you'll own more dogs in the future?

What is your dog's diet?

That's all I can come up with for now :)

2. Raven

Raven Banned

Where did your dog(s)
    Captain Came from my friends femal dog after meeting my old Black Labradour Flint my wife fell in love with at another friends after their female hound had a rumpy with a stray. Duke my best friend well He came when I lost my older dog Jazz. a Friends female dog had 9 pups and 6 where still borns. Duke she gave us at 3 weeks because she didn't have the time to help him because he wasn't feeding of his mother. we had to bottle feed him for a few weeks. Sadly his mother died after a week of us taking him. He's the friendliest Animal alive.

Yeah walking. And watching me fetch the sodding stick. lol

Would you say you have much understanding of your dog's temperament, behaviour, etc?
    Hell yes especially Duke

Duke (Wolf German Shepard/ Flint Staffy/ Captain Mungrel cross Spirnger spanial and Collie

I will never live without a Dog

What is your dog's diet?
    Pedigree chum large tins Duke Twice a day with Pedigree chum nuts.

3. lessa

lessa New Member

About 3 years ago we had a cocker spaniel from a shelter.
    He was extremely high strung and hated men. (with men being in the majority in the house)
    He ate dried dog food and had his bed in the mud room at the back door.
    He had brought with him a squeeky toy which he would run to when ever he was upset.
    He was a beautiful dog and if a single female had him she would be the perfect home for him.
    We had to send him back to the shelter since he was afraid of our cats.
    They would stalk him. Following close and just touching his tail. While one of the others would be waiting beside the next door to jump at him. The third would sit up high and watch his progress and if the other 2 hadn't scared him enough she would jump down in front of him.
    He was going to have a heart attack or stroke so we sent him back to the shelter where a single lady from the next town took him home. Apparently he is doing great and they love each other.
    No men No cats No bad nerves.
    No I don't think so. With my physical abilities deteriorating it would not be fair to the dog. We may not even replace our cats as they leave this world.

4. Sayso

Sayso New Member

From a breeder.

Not intentionally. He's gone deaf and has learnt sign language.

Yes. The tail usually gives it away, as well as his eyes.

I'd rather not say.:redface: but he's white and fluffy and doesn't have the poodle cut.

Due to our lifestyle we probably wont. We like to go camping and can't with him.

Anything he can fit into his mouth though it's usually tinned food mixed with biscuits.

5. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I'm gonna use was here now. My puppy died when he was just 7 months old.

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Where did your dog(s) come from? (Pet store, pound, shelter, registered breeder, backyard breeder, etc)
    1 from a breeder, one from the animal shelter, one from a pet store.

Only what they got from myself and my wife, which is all they need.

Yes.

Dachshund

Norwegian Elkhound

Mutt (sheltie mix of some sort)

Yes

What is your dog's diet?

Mainly dry dog food. Sometimes table scraps.

Terry

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

over 2/3 of a lifetime of dog-having, all of the above...

only the one dobie my son had, briefly...

i'd say a lot, of all the many... first, because i love animals and don't treat them like possessions, but like friends, or children... and second, because for many of my dog-having years, i was having and raising 7 kids, so being up on our pets' temperaments was a vital necessity, for my children's safety...

you name it, and we probably had one with at least a bit of it... far as i can recall, over nearly 70 years: toy poodle; dobie; cocker; german shepherd; golden retriever; and mutts of indeterminate ancestry [majority of them];

no... at my age and due to where i live, that's not in the cards...

for most, purina 'kibble'... for some in earlier years, major brand canned...

8. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Really interesting responses so far, thanks for the input guys :)

Have added another question-

Did you do much research before buying a dog? For instance, did you research breeds, the difference between registered and backyard breeders, etc?

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nope!

10. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I was going to look up, but my Dad advised me against it, saying that it would just get confusing and the that Uncle would tell all there is to know about him, so we'll get to know stuff anyways, and for more convenience.