1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Another Attempt

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Killer300, Aug 27, 2011.

Well, I'm going to try once again to fuse a lot of concepts together to make one story. This time, it involves four different ideas. Now, here I'm asking two questions.
    A. Is this similar to another story? I ask this so I have something to compare to, which can be very helpful.
    B. Have you written a story yourself with this many plot threads? Wonder what your writing experience was like with it.

Alright, here's to get an idea of the plot. The story starts with a child being rushed into a hospital, with a disease that has a 100% fatality rate, and no cure. Desperate to save the child, a surgeon does a very strange surgery, which results in the child's life being preserved, at a cost. In order to save her life, he used an experimental procedure which had... odd results. The odd results include the child having butterfly wings, weight going down to only 50 pounds, and the child's bone composition changing.
    While this occurs, a boy comes down with ANGEL, a disease that, through study, the procedure done earlier was created. This results of that can be read in the short story I posted, "Birth of An Angel," which was to test to see if I was ready.
    With all of that, a time traveler has arrived. She's from the year 2080, and has interesting modifications from that year. Most of her body is cybernetic, mainly because most of her biological mass has been destroyed by combat. These cybernetic parts allow her to lift up to use a .50 heavy machine gun like most would use an assault rifle, shrug off most bullets with ease(.50 she can take, but it would be like being punched really hard in the gut), and can hack into government supercomputers in three seconds. She's here to fundamentally alter human society so that it doesn't destroy itself in the future.
    Okay, how does this all tie together? Our future is apocalyptic for a reason. A disease that killed 97% of human males, (which lead to our culture changing in interesting ways to say the least) and a huge alien invasion causes issues. All of this is tied to events happening in the present.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

As for the number of plots, there should be one principal plot. Every other plot should either contribute to (or oppose) the principal plot or develop the characters involved in that plot network. Any incidental plots should be removed.

Again, though, a plot concept means nothing! Go forth and write something!

3. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Okay, I know the plot concept part. I was asking for stories similar to this for something to compare to. I'm not asking for the concepts to be judged, I know better than that.
    Thanks for the 2nd part though.

4. Batgoat

Batgoat New Member

I can assure you that the "concept" and the "idea" you suggest is not entirely new and / or original. Cogito possesses sagely patience reposting that line pretty much on every second new thread in this plot creation section of the forum. It's really no good asking us if something like what you've suggested has been done before. To quote a quote whose source for now slips my mind, "There is nothing new under the sun."

5. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Exactly, I'm asking for specifics on that, i.e. a specific book. Of course I know this isn't original, I'm asking for stories similar to this for comparison. That's all, I guess I didn't type this very well last time.

PS: Well... this thread is pointless now, just discovered the plot fell apart like putty when I tried to write this. Sorry about this one guys, and next time I'll be more careful with wording.