1. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

No motive?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TheFedoraPirate, Apr 6, 2008.

Well, I've been working on a story revolving around a crime syndicate in a fictional city. In my story I need two of my "villains" to have some sort of plot/plan with various steps to it and a clear end in sight. While, overall it doesn't really matter what this plan is I don't want to write the whole story with the readers in the dark and only Ominous Clues floating about.

So, I figured I could make the plan be to destroy the syndicate. This would solve a lot of overall plot issues but it has one problem: While one of the two "villains", being a police officer, has a clear motivation for dissolving a crime syndicate the other has no motivation at all since he is a high ranking member of the syndicate.

So, my other idea was the the police character is helping the syndicate member seize complete control of the syndicate but that leaves me in the same boat...one of the two has no motivation.

So for either option, do you guys have any ideas as to what the characters motives might be? This is my last block before I can really start writing this thing so anything you've got I'd love to hear it.

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Dirty Cop? Seems sor tof cliche but who can argue with the classics? Maybe the two are plotting against eachother at the same time they're ploting against the syndicate? That would make some interesting plot twists.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The plan may be to take down a major figure in the syndicate, or even several figures. The policeman, of course, wants to disrupt the power structire of the syndicate to weaken it. The man on the inside figures that by taking down these figures, he can move upward in the power hierarchy. He might also have personal reasons, such as the death of a close friend, lover, or blood relative at the hands of one or more of the figures.

4. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

@LordofHats - Undeniably cliche, and probably not the only one in my story but if the way I write 'em provides any entertainment then I'm not too concerned. 'Course it remains to be seen whether or not I can actually do that.

@Cogito - That works perfectly. And it's so damn obvious I feel pretty dull for not seeing it myself. Thanks, man.