1. Soodanim

Soodanim New Member

Alternative terms for Id, Ego & Super-ego?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Soodanim, Jan 13, 2013.

I'm looking for descriptive terms that can represent the individual concepts of the Id, Ego or Super-ego, not as a collective but rather a term for each of these terms.

To put this into perspective, I've been working on an RPG pen and paper system for many, many years that is also a part of a collection of stories I'm writing. I'm currently fleshing some of it out but have become stuck on some of the terminology. The concept of the Id, for instance, to represent an aspect of a character is pretty much a perfect fit, however I don't really want to use the term Id as it's too clinical and has far too much associated baggage that would detract from the intention of the game mechanic.

I can't, however, seem to find any alternative terms that represent the same basic concepts as these terms.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you are operating off that psychological model, you should the terminology of that model.

3. live2write

live2write Senior Member

This is a difficult one to create or find alternative terms because there really is not one. The Id ,Ego and Super-ego is what it is. However you can create your own terms.

Id, Ego, Super-ego translates to
    unconscious, conscious, subconscious

you could say that is the alternative

4. Soodanim

Soodanim New Member

I'm not "operating off that psychological profile". They are merely the best terms that I know of to describe the collective attributes that they represent. In fact, your reply is the exact reason why I want to find alternate terms. People will automatically associate it with Freudian psychology which is not what I want.

5. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Then why not use the Carl Jung version?

6. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Use descriptive terms. For example the Id is the primitive, instinctual part of the mind, so why not call it something like the animal. The ego contains rationality and some forms of logic and planning but not really the moralising, intellectual stuff. So why not go with something like the caveman. And the super-ego is where you get the moralising, intellectual, empathetic stuff etc. So why not go with the transcendant.

Cheers, Greg.