Am I a brilliant genius or am I just over my head?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Annihilation, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Annihilation

Annihilation Active Member

I am Nima! The seeker of meaning! The eternal ghost waging war against the demons of aragon! I am Nima, the great one! The chosen one.

2. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Not Brian belched, laid another line along the table top, supped from the beer can, eyes illuminated by the glow of PC, aloe vera smeared across his triple nipple combination, tie wrapped around his forehead. He swivelled away from the computer, saw only ice hockey upon television,

'Ice, ice, ice' he said, and watched the house monkey scurry away through to kitchen, doggie-bag held in its teeth, 'come here you fuckin monkey, gimme my drugs...' he said, and tumbled a metre from the apartment's front door.

There was a knock.

'Mother..'

'I have brought these police officers, we are staging an intervention,' she said.

'Never, never surrender,' said Brian, crawled away to his fridge-freezer, levered luger from cold cabinet and a fresh tinny off the shelf. 'Find my monkey, mummy,' he said, 'or the cops get it, nnnnh, nnnnh.'

going to bed x

jannert, Sifunkle and BrianIff like this.
  3. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

Mat--you made my night. Laughing out loud hilarious. Your mind is like a bad neighborhood--I wouldn't want to go in there alone. And to Annihilation, the OP. sorry for hijacking your thread, but this was some damn good improvisational writing--genius, you might say.

jannert and matwoolf like this.
  4. Annihilation

I am the genius! End of discussion.

Now who wants some enchiladas?

jannert and DueNorth like this.
  5. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

In over your head. Until you prove otherwise.

6. Aire

Aire Banned Sock-Puppet

How about instead of one book, a bunch of small novellas? Either a series that is connected or not. Keep a notepad open and scratch out these subplots as they come to you, go back and look at them later ... they might be more interesting than your actual novel.

7. Annihilation

No, that's not what I'm saying. I love my novel. There are so many powerful moments. I included references from other stories as well as themes from other stories. They all fit together well.

I'm asking if there's any way to know if I'm a genius or not. I can't express myself through speaking because I'm an introverted person and I have social anxiety. I criticize every single thing I do. I don't have a degree or even a driver's license. But I believe that I'm a genius that just doesn't know it yet.

8. Aire

Aire Banned Sock-Puppet

Interesting. Some of the most world known / respected speakers are self-identified introverts, seeing as beyond the most basic [and often inaccurate] definition the word doesn't simply mean shy. It means people that are so self confident that they couldn't careless what others think or how others view them. The literal island onto themselves.

Anyways what makes you a genius. You say that a single novel you are writing has multiple subplots in it, indicates that you are having some problems maintaining the main storyline. Getting distracted with these subplots. A lot of writers experience something similar anytime they write something that sounds better than what came before [no point in pursuing something that will fall flat]. Are they all geniuses then?

9. Selbbin

No.

outsider likes this.
  10. Annihilation

You don't know me. And I say I'm introverted because I don't like talking. I like solace and peace. I keep a lot in my head. That brings me to the conclusion that I'm an introvert.

And I don't have trouble with my main plot. I can explain it to you but it'll take too much typing. I'm just saying it has a lot of layers and themes as opposed to other novels I've read. The idea and overall plot is brilliant. But I'll admit I could do some edits to the actual writing so that it doesn't seem to go by too fast.

11. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

This is starting to sound much more like you've already decided you're a genius and are just looking for a way to prove it.

So ask yourself, not us, what it will take. It seems as if you've already convinced yourself, but are looking for external validation. In writing, that usually comes from publishing your book and getting favourable critical response. So, if that's the path you want to follow, get started. Edit, polish, submit to agents/publishers or find an editor and self-publish, and see what happens.

Alternatively, you could keep it to yourself and just agree with yourself that you're a genius, but one that doesn't need external validation. That's fine, too, as long as it will satisfy you.

But I don't think there's any way for any of us here to judge your brilliance without having read your "brilliant" novel, is there?

12. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Mat, it's crude of you to attack those of lower dimension.

matwoolf likes this.
  13. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

Lol. Writers are supposed to believe in themselves? Could have fooled me.

My best advice, which may or may not be shit, is to simply follow your voice. You'll always have that other voice which suggests that you might just be an idiot, but write anyway. And when you forget and think that you're completely in over your head, come here, and be reminded that we all write to satisfy that still-small voice.

14. Selbbin

I'm a genius. I just haven't discovered at what.

15. Annihilation

You gave me a great answer, thank you. I'll keep this in mind at all times.

16. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

If you are, it's not for you to decide.

Personally, I strongly suspect you are not a genius, but that you are egotistic and have serious delusions of grandeur.

17. John Franklin Dandridge

John Franklin Dandridge Member

Do you have work posted on this site?

18. Annihilation

It doesn't let me post anything here but here's the link to my smashwords page you could read a few of my earlier short stories
    https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/findyourself555

19. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

From your first page of Nima the Enigma, I'd say you have a little natural talent for writing(eg a natural voice), but your technical ability needs a lot of work, if that wasn't obvious from how your write in your posts. I also think the synopsis for Nima is intriguing, something I seldom say about most story ideas pitched here on WF, but again, the writing itself needs so much work I wouldn't read it as is, even is there is a tangible (albeit small) possibility that the message in that story is brilliant. In short, like most of us, you have a lot of work to do if you hope to reach your full potential.

20. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Nope. I think @matwoolf wins the Genius Cup. Here you go, Mat. The platinum cup. But you have to give it back next year so somebody else can win it too. We'll give you a chrome-plated facsimile to keep forever, though. It'll look exactly the same in the selfies, if you stand in the right light.
    boy_trophy.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    BrianIff likes this.
  21. Annihilation

Okay I'll definitely be trimming, re reading and editing my future works. Are there any examples of what I need to work on most so I can know what to focus on???