Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Largeman

Largeman New Member

Am I an Idiot, or Just Passionate?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Largeman, Feb 14, 2009.

Last night, the night of Friday, the thirteenth of February, 2009; 2:42 in the morning. I, a sixteen-year-old boy left my house on my bicycle with two envelopes in my pocket. One being a letter of resignation for my job, and the other being a Valentine for this girl I have very much fallen for. But the girl is not my main concern. I am concerned as to whether of not quitting my job was a good idea.

No, I do not have another job lined up for me. Yes, I am aware that the economy is bad. and Yes, I have some money to live off of for a while, $250.

Was this a good or bad idea?

My job would appear to be a great one. We work for a round total of 2.5-3 hours throughout our averaged 4 hour shifts. During the other time most of us will sit around and talk. I am usually not one of those people. Yes we can sit around, but there are many many things that must get done, and I am left doing those things alone. If I don't, I get yelled at. I work at the local movie theatre by the way, in a town of 40,000 people.

The majority of the people I work with suck. The place is basically run by a 21-year-old fool, who gives us our schedules a day before the weekend starts, and can't manage to get anything organized. She is also not good at playing the roll of the boss. She is unable to speak professionally. If she is not impressed with your work she will snarle at you, giving you disgusting looks that only a garbage picker should expect.

The other ray of sunshine that I work with on most occasions is 22-years-old. She will never miss an opportunity to yell at me. She has it glued in her mind that I am a terrible employee, and whenever a single thing goes wrong she must make it vocal that it was all my fault, even if it was not. She constantly cusses about me behind my back, i've heard it. Not one week ago i was crossing the office door only to hear, "That ****ing ****er calls me up at 8:00 last night to ask me to take his shift" ****ing ****er=me, yes i phoned her at eight oclock, but there shouldn't be a problem with that seeing that there is a post-it not in the office that as her number and a note Call my anytime, I can take any shift, and the shift wasn't even for another few days.

These few reasons are not the only ones, there are many more. And these only amount to about 70% of my quitting.

This job drained my time, and trust me I do not have great time management skills. I want to be a writer, but I find that through school and work I do not get any time to do so. The weekends would pretty much be my main source of writing time, and of course working at a movie theatre, that wasn't happening at all. I know my work is worth money, I know it. I just need to make it happen. And having the time to do that will make it happen.

2. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Only you can decide on that. If I were in your shoes I would have quit, simply because I expect to be treated as a fellow human being at all times, but I am in a very different position to you. There are some "no win" situations and people will react to those in various ways according to age, experience, circumstances and a whole host of emotional stuff.
    The only thing I can say is once you have made a decision, stick to it and move forwards.
    Good luck! :)

3. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    That doesn't sound like a good idea; I think you're being hasty with your decision. Perhaps you should've discussed your problems first and negotiated their attitude before leaving.

I'd just like to point at that this statement was incredibly rude. Why exactly should a garbage picker expect disgusting looks?

We need people to do those jobs in order to help the world go round. Their roles are just as important as any other job, and if we didnt have people willing to do those jobs then we'd all be pretty screwed. Arrogance like that wont do you any favours in the work place, let alone outside of it.

Perhaps if you cared more for other peoples feelings, then they'd care more for yours.

People who pick up garbage for a living work in harsh conditions all year round to keep our roads clean; if anyone deserves respect, it's them.

4. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

You kinda have to look at it all around.
    People hate garbage and you don't know some people do actually give people dirty looks for the job they work at.
    People are sometimes disgusted with janitors.<---I've seen it
    You don't know people to truly know that they wouldn't give dirty looks to a garbage picker.

5. Ashleigh

I didn't say they dont get dirty looks. I know they do, by nasty, arrogant people.

I think its ridiculous to suggest that they deserve to be looked at that way. That's the point i was trying to make.

For example:

Here, the OP is suggesting that those 'disgusting looks' are to be expected for somebody who picks up garbage for a living, but would be unacceptable treatment for someone like him, who works at a theatre.

Frankly, I found that ridiculous, and pretty shameful. I wont go into it though, i've made my point.

6. Lorena

Lorena Active Member

I agree with this girl. Excuse me, I'm a new member, but this comment really annoyed me. Given that our current economy is shattered, perhaps you could end up working as a garbage-collector yourself. It's a respectable profession, and such jobs have a tendency to employ the happiest people the world has on offer. This is beacuse unhappy bigots think they are 'too good' for jobs such as these. Maybe you didn't intend to offend, but your comment at least showed how you feel about such people, even if it's just on a subconcious level. (I am talking about the original poster, not the responder.)

7. Ashleigh

Thank you, Lorena!

I think this is a classic example of the mindset of most spoiled egotistical boys today.
    How they can automatically assume that somebody who chose to be a Garbage collector would be lowly and humbled towards someone who sells tickets at the cinema baffles me. I know many people who work in community services that are the happiest people you'd ever meet. They provide for their towns, themselves, and their family.
    That's something to be admired, not frowned upon by people that are unable to keep to jobs because they cant stand authority.

8. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I'm more inclined to believe that it was a poor choice of words rather than a reflection of how the OP really feels. Don't even think about saying you haven't done the same thing. ;)

9. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

See. You said it better then me.
    That is what I was trying to say.

10. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

Jesus Christ! Everybody take a bloody chill pill for a second! Not every conversation around here needs to be an arguement!

11. KP Williams

I hope you weren't saying I was arguing with anyone. :confused:

12. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I'm saying that everyone's arguing lately, we don't need another one, so now let's just drop it all and get back on the subject.

If you've made a choice and you're happy about it, then that's all you need. My V-Day plans with Kim almost became derailed because I got scared, but I remembered that I'd made a choice that I was happy with, so I pressed on, and everything turned out brilliantly. :D

13. Lorena

Lorena Active Member

Theres a difference between the two, and in this case, the OP clearly expressed how he felt about garbage-pickers. How can it be a poor choice of words? He conciously wrote it down and understood it's meaning. It's not astro-physics we are talking here. I happen to know some people who work for the council as garbage collectors, so you can understand why I don't want their reputations further tarnished. Comparing oneself to others one deems 'worse off' or 'lower' is the epitome of ignorance, and is not something one ever does by way of accident.

Back on topic; yes, it was a bad decision in every sense. We all get jobs we don't like sometimes, but with the economy in turmoil, jobs are more precious than ever.

14. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

Well, it sounds like you work for people with a horrible work ethic. I'd hate for that to rub off on you or have you learn leadership skills from immature managers like that. I think you should try to get a job at the library. :)

15. KP Williams

It seems that the fact that you have personal feelings on the matter are clouding your reasoning. People slip up all the time, regardless of subject matter, or whether it's written or spoken. Saying that something is never done by accident doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it. It's quite easy to believe that the OP was just making a comparison to color his words, to make them seem more powerful.

Either way, he's one person, and the remark is clearly affecting only the people who vehemently disagree, so it really doesn't matter. I'm dropping this; whether the rest of you do or not is no concern of mine.

16. Largeman

Largeman New Member

Okay, I think I was completely misunderstood with the garbage picker thing. I didn't mean the people that clean up our streets. I meant an actual grabage picker; someone who picks through garbage. I meant for it to be taken in its adolescent sense, like when you're a kid and you drop something in the garbage can at school, and when you kneel down to get it people yell out "garbage picker!"
    sorry if that offended you. I didn't mean it like that.

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Dumpster diving.

18. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

It's not really a decision we can make for you. If I were you, I probably wouldnt have quit your job if money is a primary concern in your situation, lest you happen to end up like those 'garbage pickers' you mentioned. (I instead would have given your boss a particularly pointed --and likely quite crude-- piece of my mind and spoken with her boss; probably the more sensible thing to do, but it's your perrogative. If you cant take it, then you just cant take it. :) We get that.)

But if you're happy with your choice, than there isnt a reason to bring it up at all. Bringing it up here and asking for validation makes me think you're regretting your decision. If that is the case, I'd suggest getting back on your feet and looking for a new job if money is a concern for you. (There are plenty of us who could be those 'garbage pickers' and be content, but whatevs. ;) ) Who knows? Perhaps you'll find a much better one.
    Keep in mind though, at most entry-level positions that kids your age have, the boss is usually either a real jerk or a real sweetie. Just get on the right side of things. Unfortunately, the easiest and least complicated way to get by in this world is to suck up. ;)

19. Slippery

Slippery New Member

My my, what hot, hot words in this thread. Ashleigh and Lorena, what are you thinking? He made a passing comment about how a garbage-collector's job reflects the quality of his person, and you condemn him for this belief. Could I not condemn you, in turn, for judging this kid, I quote, a "spoiled egotistical boy," simply for his upbringing?

This person deserves nasty looks because he picks up garbage for a living.

That person deserves to be crucified in the forums because he was brought up to believe that the worth of his job was the worth of his soul.

Absurd.

20. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

I take it you're living with mom and / or dad, and not paying for rent or food?

Because if that's the case, no problem. I didn't work at all until I was nearly finished with university. A different culture, but really, if all you're losing is pocket money, no biggie. It's not as if you're putting food on your table

At 16 your chief concerns should be school and girls. You'll spend most of your life working, so enjoy it while it lasts.

21. Lorena

Lorena Active Member

This changes everything. I'm very sorry, I thought you were talking about something else. Again, my apologies.

Well, that's not the case now, is it? Look at Largeman's post. But if it were the case, then what you said is true. How would someone know their values are wrong unless one points it out to them?

22. Ashleigh

You could, but it'd be totally for the sake of objecting to me. I could judge you for having a problem with my personal opinion (which, by the way, was based on evidence).

I dont really understand what you're saying here. Are you agreeing? Because this is the point of view displayed by the OP, not me.

Despite this being a slip-up of words, my point still stands: WHY would someone who goes poking through dumpers deserve to get disgusting looks from people? (I'm not saying they DONT get them, i'm asking why they'd *deserve* it)

Someone who picks through dumpers is clearly a desperate person! They could be homeless, hungry, and pennyless. So frankly, both points give me a very bad image of the OP's attitudes, whether he meant it to or not.

Who knows, maybe his boss gets that vibe too :) Something to think about, isnt it?

...and yes, i can judge someone as being 'spoiled and egotistical' but i did not in any way, shape or form, suggest that it was a result of his personal upbringing. I think you pretty much assumed that yourself.

23. Largeman

Largeman New Member

Oh my God. I never once said they deserved it. I said that they should expect it. A huge mass of this world's population frowns on picking dumpsters.

It's like you are just trying to find an argument.

Like honestly get over it. That's not even what this thread is to be discussing, but for some reason 78% of the post on this threat HAVE BEEN ABOUT THAT. Like honestly just drop it already. I don't want to see one more post about the flipping garbage.

1 person likes this.
  24. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This thread is no longer productive. Before it gets any more heated, I'm closing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.