Am I overreacting?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lucy E., Aug 29, 2008.

1. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

My point was that it happens to everyone. I guarantee that everyone has been looked down upon by someone else, not much a point in worrying about it in such a broad sense. Though it can get rather troublesome when that job interview rolls around. Lawsuits and whatnot.

Anyway, I don't consider white or black racist. It's just, I'm not that color, and nor are "white" people. Seriously, go to my profile page and match me up with some Crayolas.

2. lessa

lessa New Member

funny colour story.

31 years ago when my eldest son was born he had black hair and dark skin.
    an older couple were looking at the babies in the nursery and pointed to Raymond and said
    isn't he a cute indian baby. looked at me and went red in the face. I said he was part indian and I was happy they thought he was cute.
    3 days later he developed jaundice and was a very sick shade of yellow.
    same couple looked at him and said what a sweet chinese baby he was.
    looked over at me and went so red and disappeared from the hall.
    So really the only colour I care about is the red faces of people who make stupid mistakes about people. especially when it involves children.

3. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

You've had an effect on me Lucy. In the states, haha, I've corrected many people with this assumption.

4. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

You see, the hard part is that England used to be it's own country, and the only things I remember about that part of the world are from european history class. (I loved that class. A whole lot more jokes make sense after taking it. I did the math once and since the first revolution france has had one on the average of once every twenty years. They're overdue.)

5. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

The good thing for me, Lessa, is that I don't really turn red when I make a mistake. Though, there are other giveaways. But you'll never see them as I never make mistakes. :)

6. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Uhh, yeah, that is overreacting. I can definitely see how it would become a pet peeve, but to describe it as freaking out? To get the urge to hit something/someone? That is overboard. I just don't see why you or anyone else would get so riled up over something like that. And, yes, I know it must be exasperating, but people mistaking British for English does not warrant such extreme emotions.

I have a bunch of pet peeves too. But I just don't think it's necessary to overreact like that.

I'm not from Puerto Rico directly, but I'm Puerto Rican myself (yes, I know, big difference to native Puerto Ricans). Anyway, I can completely understand the whole Mexican thing! Now that annoys me. Two very different ethnicities and cultures. I've learned to just accept some people will confuse things. There's no point in getting very upset over it....

7. CDRW

Hey Wreybies, how are the pupusa's down there? ;)

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

And if you talk to them until you're blue in the face, they still won't get it.

Well, since I'm half Irish, I huess I'd better boil some dinner and then drink myself to sleep. :)

Stereotyping is just ign'rnt.

9. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

I agree to a certain extant.

But, can the word "African-American" be racists as well? Is there such thing as reverse-racism? White people are not the only one who can be racist, right? Blacks can be racist as well, right?

10. Silver Random

Silver Random New Member

Just want to point out that isnt really the same thing at all... the equivilant would be more like calling someone from Canada American, someone from China Japanese, someone from Norway Swedish...

If someone hears my voice, like when im in America or on Xbox Live, and thinks im English or something, thats fine, since they think my accent sounds like an English one (though i dont see how :rolleyes:). But i completely understand being annoyed when someone says "English" when they actually mean "British", or the other way round.

11. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I guess it happens. People have a stereotype of Pakistanis being nonexistent. I HATE IT WHEN IT HAPPENS! But I don't go all crazy. I tell people what's the reality, and in turn, appreciate the question. Ignorance is a bliss, right? Consider...

"So, where're you from?"
    "In Asia..."
    "Ah...you're not Chinese, I can see! Then you're Indian!"
    "No...I live in its neighbor, P-"
    "You mean the subcontinent?"
    "PAKISTAN'S A SEPARATE COUNTRY!"
    "Wow, you hate India just so much."
    *Slam*

PS: I don't hate India, God bless our sister country. I just don't like it when people assume Pakistan is a part of India, when its not. It's an individual, and owing to multiculturalism, this should be appreciated.

12. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Seriously? I have never encountered that to happen, Charisma... In Britain (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales ;)) there seems to be quite a lot of general awareness about that region of the world. Although, that may be due to the large number of immigrants from Pakistan who live here. I dunno. But I can totally see why that would annoy you.

13. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  14. stoned4assassin20

stoned4assassin20 New Member

Not understanding the difference between the United Kingdom, Britain, and England is merely geographic ignorance. In America, the three names are used so often in propinquity or (seemingly) similar context, that many begin to assimilate them with one another. Many Americans who make this mistake falsely believe that Britain refers to England (and vice versa). They have never been directed that these terms are not interchangeable. Instead of getting mad at someone who was led to believe that they were synonymous terms, just explain the difference-- or show them a map. This world is rife with the confusion of seemingly analogous terms. It will only be perpetuated unless you tell them the difference, or at least tell them that there is a difference.

1 person likes this.
  15. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Just to expand on the point, I think there are various things which need clarification. What Lucy posted was Great Britain.

This (the green part):
    [​IMG]

is The United Kingdom, including England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. See the difference?

And lastly, this is the British Isles (the blue parts):
    [​IMG]

This includes England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland (which in this picture is called Ulster), the Republic of Ireland (The part labeled Ireland), and various smaller islands including the marked Channel Islands, the Orkneys and the Shetlands.

That concludes today's geography lesson. Thank you for listening.

(And I also use the expressions "bloody hell" and "mate". "Jolly good" not so much, but it is said by people in some places)

16. stoned4assassin20

Wow. While i was typing my last post you posted a map. Crazy. Just crazy. Read my mind.

17. lessa

lessa New Member

years ago I had a black guy tell me that "I can't be racist I am black, but I can be oh so rude."
    I smiled at him and said "I don't like rude people either so no I don't want the drink."
    He had been trying to be funny calling the few whites in the place derogatory names, thought that I would find it amusing and leave with him. Boy did he think wrong.

If I wanted to call myself from the country my ancestors came from I would be
    British, Irish, Scottish Canadian.
    is this what the world is coming to.
    In my life time Indians have become Native American Native Canadians and now simply Natives.
    Blacks have been Negro, Blacks, African Americans.

Sure would be nice to know what to call people of any race.
    It is hard being politically correct when names change so often.
    Why can't we all just be people?

18. stoned4assassin20

Words have no intrinsic meaning.

19. Charisma

Well, I feel better now. :D I can't speak for Europe, South America and North America (save USA), since I've never known someone from around there - well, except you and Lucy maybe. :p

20. lessa

lessa New Member

Canadians are so many cultures about the only thing we don't care to be called is
    Americans.
    I have seen many people of different cultures get very upset to the point of anger
    when asked if they are americans.
    This is not a new thing but an on going battle for our own idenity.
    We joke about it a lot but it is very real. Do not call Canadians Americans.

21. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

I can say with certainty that most people here in the U.S. do know that Pakistan is a seperate country, but most of us don't think about it being an Asian country. A lot of people here simply say its a part of the middle east, I know that most of the middle east is part of Asia, but most of us see it as something seperate.

22. Charisma

Well, that makes me feel better yet again. Except the knowledge is probably because of the terrorism hype. :p But next time you see someone who doesn't know where Pakistan is, TELL HIM/HER! :eek:

23. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    It's natural for any human being to become defencive over there race or culture what level you take it to though is a completely different thing. I myself being part west indian can become very defencive when people assume I am from another culture.

24. CDRW

I can't say for any ethnic group in particular, but I can tell you that as a young white male I am automatically disqualified for a very large number of scholarships, and I'm also at a disadvantage when trying to get into a school or job that is trying to look "ethnicly diverse."

25. stoned4assassin20

Racism is racism. Strange as it may sound, racism transcends race. Race driven hate of one group is no different than race driven hate of another.