1. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

Am I plagiarising?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TheDarkWriter, Jan 24, 2013.

My main character is like Naraku from Inuyasha a being created from a host of demons devouring a human and becoming one being. He also takes a new name after becoming a demon and able to absorb and spawn demons into and from his own body it's also mentioned he's not a true demon which plays into the story. But his back story and the plot surrounding him are completely different the only thing he has in common is his powers.

2. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

I hardly think this Naraku guy was the first semi-sorta-demon conglomerate hybrid. All characters probably resemble others somewhere to a degree.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

Ever read any zombie stories?

Don't worry about it.

4. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributing Member Contributor

There are no original ideas. Only original executions. Every story that has been told has been told a thousand times in different forms - think of them as variations on a theme, which each and every writer puts their own stamp on. So don't worry about it. Write your story. Make it your story by writing it in your way. Make him your character.

5. Khaelmin

Khaelmin Active Member

Ever heard the phrase 'I am Legion'? Find out where that first came from and you'll see that Naraku from Inuyasha is a plagiarized character as well. Don't sweat it.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you're really concerned about legal ramifications should your work be too similar, you need to consult a literary attorney instead of asking writing site members...

7. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Naraku was not the first character to have these traits, I've seen it in many other animes actually. Since you're familiar with anime, I assume you know of Bleach: Memories of a Nobody? Although the main character of the movie, not Ichigo, is not a demon, she is composed up of many different souls who have lost their way and formed together to make up one body. It's the same idea as Naraku, but certainly not a copyright issue. You must also take into account the other animes as well. I've seen this same thing occur in D.Gray-Man, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, and many others. Never on the same level as Naraku from Inuyasha, but it is the same idea with some of the same basic backgrounds. I wouldn't worry about the copyright issues, not unless you're COPYING Naraku exactly. If your character and Naraku shares some of the same things, so what? I don't know how many stories I've read about an orphan boy discovering he has powers and changes the fate of the world.
    Tell your story how you want it.