1. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

am i too close to my story?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Rumwriter, Aug 19, 2011.

hey, i've been working on a series for a long time, especially book one, but i've thought all of the books out as a whole, but now I wonder if I may have put too much thought into it all?

It's becoming almost hard to write some of these books because I know exactly what happens in my head and it's not as much discovering what happens as I write which is part of what's so fun about writing.

should i take a step back from the stories? maybe i should forget about what is supposed to happen and just start writing and see what actually does happen. perhaps my books will be the better for it.

2. DBTate

DBTate Senior Member

Hi Rumwriter,

I often have the same problem. My work turns from a piece of creative writing, to somewhat of a 'copy this text' that you would have to do in school. Rather than feeling like you are plucking ideas from your mind, and exploring them through writing, you are simply 'rewriting' what you already know.

What I think might help is if you already know what's going to happen in your books, express that as a start (John lost his pen), and a finish (John found his pen).

If you break your story down in to simply the start and finish point, you are free to work out how he 'found his pen' as you write. When ideas are flying through your mind, jot down ones that you think might benefit the story and make it interesting, but don't turn it in to a set of instructions that you must follow.

This way you'll know what is going to happen but you are still free to explore the possibilities between A and Z. Start writing about how your MC got to B, C, D, E, F, G...

Hope this helps! :)

3. AmyHolt

AmyHolt Contributing Member

Of course you're too close to your story, aren't we all.

I have my stories all thought out but as I'm writing I sometimes find that it takes a slightly different turn or a bit of dialog sparks a new idea. I'm not nearly as good at verbally telling a story as I am at writing a story (meaning that when I take the time to fine tune my words in writing they have way more power than something that comes off the tip of my tongue). To me it's the creating and fine tuning into something really great that is the joy in writing. So if the story is flowing, let it flow. Breaks, smeaks, who needs them?

4. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 Senior Member

Definetely agree, i will just make a few little dot points, and make my own way there. Flows alot better like that :)

5. chatterbox

chatterbox Member

if you are like me once it comes to writing it down it will transform into something you do as you go along so it will not take the fun out of it

6. Heather

Heather Contributing Member

I think it is a good thing that you know what is going to happen through the majority of your novels - it will give them a much clearer structure. I tend the have the opposite problem, I know the characters and bits and peices, but I rarely have a properlly developed plotline.

What I would advise you do is to write your novels as you imagine them - you have obviously spent a long time thinking about what you want to write, so there is nothing to say that they won't be brilliant. If, after you have finished writing them and there are sections you are unhappy with, then maybe the time to take a step backwards and see how to change it. But yea, for now just work on actually finishing :)