1. squeakystrings

squeakystrings New Member

Am I weird?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by squeakystrings, Apr 8, 2010.

Does anyone else enjoy the editing process more than the actual writing? It seems everything I read in books and online all refer to the "dreaded" revision process. But I hate blank pages. For me it's much more enjoyable to work with something that's already there. Are there others out there like me?

2. Rechar

Rechar Member

I'd certainly prefer having a complete rought draft appear and be able to work on it. Alas, life is cruel and does not make novels magically pop out of the air :(

Not sure if its just because the end is in sight, or because of that primal "I'm refining something rough into something great" though.

3. MsMyth71

MsMyth71 Senior Member

I LOVE revising. :) Love love LOVE! So, if you are weird then I am too. :)

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

Cutting is my favourite part. Going through a work and just deleting all the unnecessary words (which are most of them, really).

5. black-radish

black-radish Senior Member

I hate it !! lol.. I just love the writing itself, coming up with the sub-plotlines as I write.. When I have to re-write an entire part it makes me moody! lol

6. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I may be weirder than you. I don't see them as separate processes. Just steps in the overall writing process. Thinking, planning, drafting, revising, proofreading -- it's all a lovely dance when it works and utter hell when you hit a glitch. I worry about myself for loving it so much.

7. lovely

lovely Member

I loved editing, and I always have. It just feels much better to know that you've at least accomplished a good bit of your goal, and that you actually have something to show for it. When you revise, you can only get better, too.

8. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributing Member Contributor

Beautiful rose in our literary garden! May you be literarily aphid-free forever! I was about to say essentially the same thing. For me, it's all part of the same process. I find myself working slower and slower the closer I get to the end of a manuscript. I do a great deal of editing and word/scene cutting and rearranging during the initial writing process and I find I have a tough time transitioning to another project while I allow the previous one to 'gestate'. But then, when I go back to it in a few months, it is like I, or the characters, never left. We simply pick up our 'relationship' where we left off except that I am able to go back to the manuscript with a fresh eye. Still, to me, the various stages of the 'birthing process' (Eww! I'm suddenly falling into this maternity and baby allegory) are as closely intertwined as any two things can be. It's just not finished until it is submission ready and it cannot be submission ready until you complete the first draft AND all requisite edits. "Part of a lovely dance ..." Yes. Beautifully phrased.

Okay, no. Romantic Rose, you said it so much better and oh, so poetically lyrical.

1 person likes this.
  9. squeakystrings

squeakystrings New Member

Yay! These posts made me happy! Thanks, guys

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't love it or hate... i just do it...

11. MelissaL

MelissaL Member

I love editing better because at least at that point the hard part is over! I love going through it and re-reading it as I go. It may not be perfect but at least you have something there. Wish I was in the editing process but my story is getting a bit frustrating ):

12. MsMyth71

MsMyth71 Senior Member

I just spent 3 hours rewriting a flash piece that I have to read tonight.

If you ever want to really edit the heck out of your work, get it ready for a public reading. :)

13. fruitdruifje

fruitdruifje New Member

guilty as charged I am ^^ but at a certain point you'll be ready to bundle all your best idea's and cast/fuse them properly into a finished novel.. The reason for only wanting to keep the proces of creation (some kind of procrastination^^) could be because writing down your proces of creation (or in my case writing/drawing it ) into a smooth story is a psychological thing. because an actually written down story mostly means: the case is closed.. you must let go... (we people are having a hard time coping with letting go's..)

then I think to myself (in those situations..) maybe for the outside world the story is finished.. but to me, these characters aren't done talking to me.