1. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Contributing Member Reviewer

Amanda's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Amanda_Geisler, Jun 19, 2014.

Hi all,

I have now updated my listing of projects below for new ideas I have chosen to write in the future.

The White Wolf Trilogy
    Updated: 3rd Jan

1. The Stray- 2nd Draft- 67,000 words
    2. The Lost- 1st Draft- 78,300 words
    3. The Found- 1st Draft- 44,500 words

No Name Stand Alone (Based in Same world as the White Wolf Trilogy)

1. No Name- Not Started- 0 words

Fragments of the Past

1. Fragments of the Past- Planning- 800 words

The Jewel of Elements

1. Ignis- Not Started- 0 words
    2. Aqua- Not Started- 0 words
    3. Terra- Not Started- 0 words
    4. Aer- Not Started- 0 words
    5. The Jewel of Elements- Not Started- 0 words

The Gates Trilogy

1. Heaven's Gates- Not started- 0 words
    2. Hell's Gates- Not Started- 0 words
    3. Garden Gates- Not Started- 0 words

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. Chesster

Chesster Member

I love how your titles link with each other. It is also great that the last book is called The Found. It is final and will draw a line under your trilogy. Good luck Amanda!!!

3. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

Your titles (and their scheme) have a professional look to them; not hard to picture in a book store or amazon. Good lucks!:agreed:

4. Amanda_Geisler

Thanks, it took a while to come up with the sequenced names.

I forgot to add up my website that I made, please tell me if it's not allowed admin.

My website isn't fully operational yet, I haven't added some of the links but it has a blurb for my first novel and pages for books I intend to write after I finish this trilogy, it doesn't have any descriptions. I mostly want to share my website because this is the best one that I have made and I would like to start getting myself out there as an author, since, if I complete my goal I will be looking for publication next year.
    Anyway, here is the link
    www.amandageisler.com

Amanda

5. Amanda_Geisler

Yes I admit it, today I have succumbed to the evilness of procrastination, and I have to work tomorrow, so weekend of writing is over with my word count sitting at 48,000 words. I can happily say that I have written a query letter for when I start submitting to agents, now I just have the arduous task of writing the synopsis YAY!!! Not. I'm not looking forward to trying to compile my 80,000 words into a mere two pages.

Anyway, the main meaning for this post is that I would like to share my query letter and get some opinions on it, I did add this into the query letter critique section but it doesn't seem to get as much traffic, and the evilness of procrastination is still in full effect, so naturally I am finding ways to avoid writing even though there is no writers block involved. I know exactly what to write next, I just don't feel like writing it at the moment, scenes involving deaths are hard for me, reminds me too much of... you don't want to hear about that. But then I will turn around and probably finish this book in the week off I have in a few weeks, it just works that way sometimes.

Anyway I'm babbling now (result of procrastination and caffeine) here is my query letter before I continue to write on forever.

Dear Agent,

My name is Amanda, I am a Brisbane based writer of young adult fiction. I am a student at the University of Southern Queensland, enrolled in a Bachelor of Arts (Professional Writing and Publishing). I have completed a certificate in creative writing through Open Colleges Australia. I have also just completed a certificate of editing and publishing through Australian College, I am continuing this qualification with a certificate in advanced editing and publishing.

Please find attached/enclosed a synopsis and the requested number of chapters from my novel, The Stray, which is approximately 80,000 words in length. The target audience is young adult as mentioned above from ages 13 to 25.

My book is about a young werewolf, Rya Garcia. I know that werewolf novels are quite common these days, but I have removed some of the normal clichés from the myths of werewolves, such as the full moon. Rya Garcia is part of the pack in the town named Cascade Falls, the human world is on the verge of finding out about the pack, while Rya struggles with the pack peaking order, and her abusive alpha.

This novel is part of a trilogy that I am still writing, I am approximately 50,000 words into the second novel, The Lost, and then it will then lead into the final novel of the trilogy, The Found. Information about these two novels can be provided on request. I have the goal of finishing both of these novels by the end of this calendar year.

This trilogy may appeal to readers of Kelly Armstrong’s, Bitten series, and Carrie Vaughn’s, Kitty Norville series, as well as a few other authors that published books in the paranormal genre.

My novel writing won’t end with The White Wolf Trilogy, I intend to continue writing for the young adult audience with two more series of books named, The Jewel of Elements and The Gates Trilogy. I also have a single story idea that I have been playing around with that I may write in the future. Information on these can also be provided for on request.

Many thanks for considering my work for representation, I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely

Amanda Geisler

looking forward to some opinions

Amanda

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  6. Amanda_Geisler

Okay, okay. So good news is that I reached my secret target of 50,000 words for my so called weekend. I am just starting to get this to work for me again, my mind has stopped procrastinating on me and I have just developed another twist. The bad news, I have to stop writing because I have to get up early for work. Why does this always happen? It is so damn stupid that I start to get into the writing mood just as I have to think about going to bed or work. Sometimes I wish that I didn't have to work, but then I remember that I would be alone with my thoughts all day and that would drive me completely nuts.

Anyway, my little rant about this is over. I am really glad that I reached the mini goal I had the next mini goal I will share with you all. I want to have 60,000 words by next Sunday, the 28th of June. I've written 10,000 words in a single day before (a day off of course) I should be able to write 10,000 words in a messed up week with a mid week weekend. Anyway I have Wednesday and Thursday off instead of Saturday and Sunday, so that will give me some time to keep this going, including the few hours I can get in before and after work.

I'm on a home run here people, I don't want to ruin it.

Amanda

And yes I have been drinking caffeine

7. Amanda_Geisler

I've only written 2000 words in the last two hours, which is awesome. I am now just over 20,000 words from the target word count. And my story is getting interesting, bring on the climax, since it's only going to get bigger as the novel finishes. But like always I now have to stop because I start work in half an hour and I haven't gotten out of bed yet. So glad that I have tomorrow and Thursday off, it will be great to see if I can finish it in those two days. But not too sure, I have four hours of driving tomorrow to take my car in for a service :/ but I will be sitting in the library writing/typing my story while I'm waiting.

I'm coming in for the ending everyone :D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  8. Amanda_Geisler

So I had a massively blonde moment today everyone, those of you that have read my last posts are aware that I was going into town to get my car serviced. That was all good and everything. However, I managed to somehow leave my laptop charger at the library. I was just like freaking out because it is another four hours to go back and get it.

But then I remember that I saw one of the other workers heading into town on my way back. And I'm just like PLEASE answer your phone. And when he did I'm just like YAY!!! So now the problem has been resolved and my charger will be on its way back to me in a few hours, So YAY!!! writing crisis averted.

The interesting stuff didn't stop there either, on the way back, I was passing through a herd of cattle, so I was keeping an eye on the calves since they were more skittish and i turn to look on the other side and a darn kangaroo is there. So I'm like braking and so is the kangaroo, it ends up being the kangaroo that swerves to miss the car. So that was a weird thing and I think my heart nearly jumped out of my chest.

anyway, new experiences for future books
    Amanda

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  9. Amanda_Geisler

So it looks like I'm going to easily pass the mini goal of 60,000 words by Sunday, since I'm already at 59,200 words I will have 60,000 words by the end of the day.

So I am going to set myself a new mini goal of 65,000 words by Sunday, and I will get straight to work to achieve that goal once I give my eyes a rest, I still haven't gotten my laptop charger back so I've been writing my book on my iPad and staring at the little screen all day has not been good for my eyes.
    The worker will drop my charger off for me sometime this afternoon so I shall rest my eyes until he comes then I can get back to work using my computer.
    Anyway I wonder if I will be able to reach the 65,000 word mark, because I have had to go back and change things a few times today. I hope my mind isn't freezing up on me this close to finishing.

10. Amanda_Geisler

I managed to make it to the 65,000 word mark. Now I only want a minimum of another 10,000 words to go into this book and I will be able to easily make it to that with the few things that I still need to write to lead into my huge cliff-hanger ending. But with any luck I will be finished soon, as long as my mind doesn't freeze up, which it has been doing over the last few days, but I feel extremely drained at the moment, I am so glad that I have a few days off work at the end of this week I am going to enjoy two nights in Townsville to see the V8s race. And I hope that I will be getting at least the day before I leave off too.

Anyway I'm going to get back to it because I need to get past this filler that will lead into the next book and get to the climax of my novel, which in this one is the end.

Amanda

11. Amanda_Geisler

Alright So I have now passed the 70,000 word mark, actually I passed it at 6am this morning but it took me until now to post here. This means I only have a minimum requirement of 5,000 words before I finish and I am pretty sure that I have at least around 10,000 words left in this crazy head of mine.

I was hoping to have tomorrow off the family I'm staying with was supposed to go to the grandparents, but no such luck, they haven't finished their work, so I don't get to try and finish this book tomorrow, and I'm not taking my laptop with me Townsville this weekend, I will take my iPad but I'm not sure how much writing I will get done, especially since I will be out having some fun, but who knows maybe I will write a whole heap tonight and tomorrow and I will finish my book tomorrow night, then I will have a reason to celebrate when I go to the bar at the concert on Saturday night.

Anyway, if I'm lucky I will have this second book done tomorrow, if I'm a little less lucky I will have it finished on Sunday night after I get back.

I will let you know if I finish tomorrow night.

Amanda

12. Amanda_Geisler

Ok people I can tell you that it's not likely that I will finish The Lost tonight, my health is no longer at 100% capacity and I have difficulty writing when I am unwell. I will still try to get it finished by Sunday but it depends on how long I can't write much, I only managed to squeeze out 200 words last night and so far nothing this morning... My boss is giving me this afternoon off to help me get better before I go to Townsville tomorrow, so after I pack my bag I hope that I will be able to write something before I leave in the morning.

Until then though I have posted the first chapter of The Stray into the novel writing workshop, I hope that my chapter is liked, but constructive criticism never hurt anybody.
    Amanda

13. Amanda_Geisler

Alright. I won't have The Lost finished on Sunday either. It's not because I don't have the ideas to finish it, but instead I have decided to write a short story for a competition for Queensland writers aged 18-25. I have managed to think up an idea for my short story and I am busy working on this. Some of you may have read my thread about story dreams, my short story will be based upon the dream I had as a child, but I am going to alter it and turn it into a horror story involving teenagers rather than children, but the basic concept of the story will be the same. I am just moving it further away from the rabbit hole of Alice in Wonderland and making it my own.
    I have 2,500 word limit which is the smallest piece of fiction I have ever written, this will be a challenge in itself to make the word count, but I also have a deadline of 4pm on Friday the 18th of July so I have exactly two weeks to write and edit this short story.

I will get back to The Lost when I have finished this short story

Amanda

14. Amanda_Geisler

So I am back from Townsville now and I had lots of fun watching the races, I even met Craig Lowndes :D I didn't get much writing done on the weekend but I am so far 500 words into my short story, I think I may actually stick to the word count, I am already starting to head in the direction of the climax and it should be fun to write. I have named my short story Voices of the Night I am still trying to work out exactly what happens at the end but it will be fun, I don't know how this story is going to pan out, this is always a fun way to write.
    I will try and finish writing this tonight, but my latest deadline for finish writing is on Saturday this week so that I have about a week to edit.

Will keep you updated
    Amanda

15. Amanda_Geisler

Ok, so I have finished writing the short story and it has clocked in at about 1,500 words so now I am going to go over it and put in a little more descriptors because I didn't do much for the characters. I really like my short story, it didn't end up being a horror story just a mean joke :D Anyway, now that it has been written it is time to add those little descriptors, I have 1,000 words to work with so I am happy about that, and then it will be time for the edit this weekend.

Amanda

16. Amanda_Geisler

So, I took a break from writing The Lost and my head has decided to start throwing me ideas for the next series I'm writing, so of course I have to write them down and try to flesh them out so they will be good for the series, the newly bought Scrivener has been helping me with this, I love it, since I am not allowing myself to write the books, yet this program is a great help for me to have some kind of order to my notes and ideas.
    Bad thing is, now I really want to write it and I keep telling myself no. I have to finish my werewolf trilogy first because otherwise it will be too difficult to switch between my characters, with Rya (werewolf series) being a girl, and the new series having an unnamed male POV. The thing about this series is that I need to create an old world full of magic and that will take some time especially when it comes to map making and town/city names.

Let's see how long it takes this time for me to stop getting ideas...

17. Amanda_Geisler

Damn the munching of those calves outside my window is driving me nuts! It is so difficult to write with those things crunching on the grass for several hours! Hurry up and move on to the next lot of grass!

Sorry, as you can tell the cows are driving me insane. They have been eating outside my window for the last 2 hours and it is really hard to concentrate.

So I haven't done much writing since yesterday, about 600 words, but I have finished my short story editing and have now submitted it for the contest, so fingers crossed... I have also finished of editing some more of an editing project I'm being paid to do for a member of this forum. Then I found out that I don't have to work after being asked to work o_O and now I am trying to get my head into Rya's mind but these darn cows keep crunching.

anyway enough of that time to get back to work, I think the calves are starting to move away... If they aren't I might just start scaring them :twisted:

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  18. Amanda_Geisler

Ok, so the evilness of procrastination is in full swing. I am paying more attention to my favourite tv show Teen Wolf rather then spending time on The Lost, I still plan to have it finished in the next few weeks but life has been busy on the weekends so I just haven't had a chance to sit down for several hours and write. It has nothing to do with not knowing what to write either, it's just me not getting myself to sit there and write.
    I will have Sunday to myself this weekend so maybe I can get some decent writing done then, I have a two hour drive to town on saturday so I can buy myself some food.

I have my book covers for my next series all planned out now too I just have to get something from town on Saturday to use in the photo I'm going to take. I will share the book cover after I have made it if it looks good right now its just an idea.

Anyway lets see if I can bring myself to do some writing before I go to work.

19. Larissa Redeker

Larissa Redeker Active Member

Wow, it's a lot of work, and amazing :eek:

20. Amanda_Geisler

What's a lot of work? I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to.

21. Amanda_Geisler

Okay, so the bad news about my progress is that I haven't written a single word of The Lost since my last post. The good news is that I am going start up an editing business, I have a few clients now and a few more possibilities after I do some sample chapter edits, so I have decided to create a business and make it official with the certificate in editing that is now on its way to me. The business is going to be Geisler Editing Solutions, and I will be getting an ABN for it once the ABR website is up and running again (They have to choose now to do maintenance :dry: ).
    I am designing the website before I get a domain name and then I will be able to link it to my author website. I might just ask for opinions on the website layout once I get towards the final stages of website development. I will probably ask for opinions on logo designs as well, since I will be creating the logo myself.
    So, @Annalise_Azevedo first of all, Happy Birthday! And second thanks for teaching me all about website design, my author website wouldn't look as good as it does without the knowledge you gave me in high school.

Alright, time to edit some sample chapters before I continue work on my website, hoping to get testimonials from my clients.
    Amanda

22. Annalise_Azevedo

Annalise_Azevedo Member

It's Master Azevedo to you Padawan. If I hadn't given you the knowledge, we would both be in different places. Good luck with your writing stuff ;)

23. Amanda_Geisler

YAY!!! my writing mojo is back. I ended up deleting a chapter and writing it again and now I am able to continue. I can get this book finished now, but of course I am going to Townsville again this weekend so I won't be spending all weekend writing :dry:

The ABR website is still down so I still haven't been able to get an ABN for my editing business. I have done some more work on the website and have started thinking about logo ideas too.

So hopefully I will have the 1st draft of The Lost finished soon and an up and running editing business.
    Amanda

24. Amanda_Geisler

Hi all,
    I have been busy over the last week so I haven't really been on the forum all that much. I have also been fairly busy today, enjoying my Saturday. I have written about 1,000 words so far today, but night time is the best time for me so I will write more later. I have also been drawing for the first time in a long time, I drew Rya in her wolf form, but I can't get it to load on here so instead I have included a link for you all to see, my sketches aren't as great as they used to be since it has been a while since I've drawn anything, and I'm not naturally gifted in drawing so it is easy to lose the ability to draw.
    http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt242/mistyag/IMG_0012_zps68a29ee4.jpg
    I did draw Rya in human form too but it isn't that great (terrible at drawing people) so I won't include it. Feel free to comment on my drawing.
    I am trying really hard to get The Lost finished this weekend, I am starting to draw it to the close now, I suspect there is about another 5,000 - 10,000 words left.

Anyway,
    that's all for now
    Amanda

25. Amanda_Geisler

HOORAY!!! The 1st draft of The Lost is now finished. I am so excited that it's done, now I can move onto The Found while I start reviewing the storyline in The Lost because there are a few little things I want to change. Nothing beats the satisfaction of finishing the 1st draft.

Anyway I'm going to get back to it, I just wanted to share. :D
    Amanda

GingerCoffee and ToDandy like this.