1. AnubisTheJackle

AnubisTheJackle New Member

Amazon Restrictions

Discussion in 'Erotica' started by AnubisTheJackle, Feb 4, 2014.

I have dual interests in my writing, and have recently begun writing short erotic stories. A major theme in my writing is having my protagonist be what you might typically feel as "the bad guy" and humanize them to the point that you begin to feel for them by the end of the story. I have done this in the past with a mentally ill child who murders his mother's lover, a serial killer, and now in my erotic series of shorts I'm planning to do this with a serial rapist.

Let me head this off by saying I do not take light rape, but find instead the mental state of the rapist to be the interesting part, for that reason I intend to write the entire series as if he envisions himself in a relationship with these women, and all the scenes would be through that frame, only having the actual "rape" aspect hinted at, never described in detail.

I call this erotica due to the sex in the story, so really my question is twofold:

1) Would you consider this erotica, or something else entirely?

2) I do know Amazon has restrictions in place on content featuring rape, and I'm curious to know if you feel a story of this nature would be declined in the review process?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

1. Yes, I would call this something else. Please don't take that as a brush-off to the tune of none of that tripe here! though. I just wouldn't think of it as Erotica because the intention is different. Now, that's my personal take. Goodness knows there is a veritable Nazca Plain of different lines drawn by different folk as to what is and what isn't Erotica. For me, the simple presence of sex is not enough of a factor to call it Erotica. There must be an emotive drive for the reader to connect with the characters and their actions in a visceral, sexual way that is intended to evoke arousal both cerebrally and in regions further south. ;)

2. I can only give my opinion as I have no direct knowledge on the topic, but I would hazard to say yes.

3. AnubisTheJackle

Any suggestions on what type of story this might be? The more I think it over, the more I move towards removing the sex entirely and focusing on the delusion.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Be that the case, then it would depend on the rest of the content. Is it perhaps a psychological thriller given the serial nature of the rapist? Perhaps a police procedural if the cops are a heavy part of the story. The content would decide.

5. AnubisTheJackle

Psychological Thriller seems about right. That's in line with most of my other works.

6. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

If there is rape or consideration of rape and it is part of a crime story, Amazon is likely to pass it even if the criminal gets away with it.

Ideally rape should not be mentioned on the cover or jacket either in the title or the blurb.

Only if you give the impression that the book is basically a series of explicit rapes as the main concept and action, then Amazon will most definitely come down upon you.

7. AnubisTheJackle

Well that puts my mind at ease a bit. The cover / title are more obscure, much like the rest of the story. It's more of a demented love story than an explicit rape story.