1. Shydowyn

Shydowyn New Member

Busted lip, cold weather

Discussion in 'Research' started by Shydowyn, Feb 13, 2013.

This may be a strange question but here goes.

I have a character that's been hit in the face and his lip is cut and starting to swell and there is no shelter to be found nearby.
    My question is this: Can you have a swelling lip whilst also having the lips turn blue due to the cold? I'm just thinking of how blood vessels in the lip would realistically behave in this situation.

2. Bimber

Bimber New Member

another strange question would be why not post it in the research section? :p

dont think so, but depends what you mean by lip cut, like from a punch... and how long is he exposed outside?
    if its just a cut from a hard punch and he is outside for a long time yeah in a way he would be more pale so his lips would seem more blue/darker

3. Shydowyn

Shydowyn New Member

Oops! Didn't know there was a research section in the forum, and upon your mentioning it... I can't seem to find it. Sorry I'm new to these forums.

He has been punched, yes, but he's been out in the cold for a while prior to the punch. See I wasn't sure if the cold would lessen the swelling or if the lip would swell normally despite the coldness of the lips causing them to lose the darker colour.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I think the cold would prevent too much swelling. When athletes get bruised, their trainers put ice on it to keep the swelling down.

5. cswillson

cswillson New Member

Does a swelled lip have any effect on the plot? If not, ignore it. If so, bump that rascal up like Angelina Jolie.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, the cold would be helpful, since there would be less swelling and less bleeding... as for 'turning blue' that would depend on the temperature and how long he's been out there... plus how he's dressed...

7. UberNoodle

UberNoodle New Member

If the character is the POV character, unless he or she had a mirror, the color would be unknown. Could be way out of your conundrum, at least until you work it out later.