1. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

An "Expert" subforum.

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by NateSean, May 10, 2011.

This is an idea I got from the Nanowrimo boards and I wonder if it would work here as well. We have subforums for General Writing, Character creation, Plot development and grammar. But I wonder if we could use an "I'm An Expert On X" forum.

The idea is, yes, we can do our own research on something.

But say I wanted to research Ostrich farming. I can read all the information online and maybe there's even an obscure forum or two for the Ostrich farmers of America. But unless I live near an Ostrich farm (I don't and the Franklin Zoo no longer carries Ostriches, sadly) the research online would be incomplete without someone who actually has had experiences with them. (Someone on another forum once told me a very interesting story about his experience on such a farm and how he survived not getting kicked to death by a territorial male Ostrich.)

I'm not saying my chances of finding an Ostrich farmer are greater here at this forum, of course. But there are people with a multitude of personal experiences that would be able to provide a first person perspective of something a writer might want to know about.

What do you think?

2 people like this.
  2. Norule

Norule New Member

I like the idea, then you can (if I understood you right) just start a thread like. "Budhism" if you need to know something special about that. And people can with first hand experience can give you a helping hand. Though this might work in any of the other sub forums you mentioned already

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's been suggested before.

We have no elite, and have no desire to create one.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

And besides, we have a subforum dedicated to research already. If there's something you want information on, start a thread there, and if anyone has the answer/anything to contribute, they can post it as a reply.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i agree that such a new section is not needed/wanted and the 'research' section is already set up for that purpose, anyway...