1. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

An interesting question I hear a while ago...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ValianceInEnd, Dec 7, 2007.

If you had the choice to be best friends forever with somemone or take a million dollars and you could never see them again, would you keep your friend or take the money? I'd personally take my friend because friendship is more valuable then money.

2. K~la

K~la New Member

My friend definently! I can gain my own wealth over time and work. Plus my close friends have all done much for more for me than any amount of money could ever do.

3. Good_writer

Good_writer Banned

Friends, of course. Today, my best friend helped me talk to a girl whom i had the biggest crush on, but when i approached her, i got nervous and couldn't speak to her. But today, i did! And all thanks to my best friend.

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Money never lasts forever but friendship does. Even if it doesn't, the memory of all the wonderful times you shared does.

Once you spend your money it is gone and that is it. Material possessions mean nothing to me and neither does money. You can only ever be truely wealthy when you have wonderful friends and family. That is what I call true wealth. I'd give up every material possession I own to keep a friend. They are there for you when you can't cope, money can't hold you and say it's gonna be ok....

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's an illusory choice. If someone is that good a friend, he or she will still be that good a friend even if you never again cross paths. I would take the money, knowing in my heart that it cannot erase what we have had.

I would prefer the choice allows me one chance to say goodbye, but if it did not, I still think it would be ok; but I would probably try to negotiate the payoff up in that case, or to earmark part of it to go to the friend.. :)

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Exactly why no one should ever choose money or material possessions over a friendship. :)

7. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

Friend. Money can't buy you friends, but friends can help you make money.

8. Raven

Raven Banned

I would take the money. Why?

Well thats easy a Million pounds would ensure I never see debt again. It would Ensure and safe Guard my 4 childrens future they would have the best education and they would never no hard ships that Many of us have endured to get where we are. The money would make the life of myself and my wife and 4 children much more enjoyable. We would be able to go places do things and enjoy life.

And I would have peice of mind that my childrens future is much more secure.

Having friends is good and having been where I've been with some of those friends I call Brothers I would miss. But Friendship cannot secure a good future for my children and wife.

In Honesty very few would say no to a million plus. With that kind of money debt will be something you'll never know again and you'll never go wanting.

I'll take the money without even thinking about it.

9. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Money any day. Who needs friends?? lol. Nah, honestly i would take the money, friends come and go like the days but the money would last a lot longer.

10. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Ditto.
    Although replace kids, with aging parents (but still young, healthy, full of energy, and who will not take this the wrong way) who have given me one heck of a lot.

11. K~la

K~la New Member

Guess it all depends on everyone's personal circumstances.

12. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

yuck I hate this question.

My best friend is my heart, and insides. But even more so is my family.....technically my best friend is my bf. so nope no money for me.
    My best friend is my other half and I cannot go on with life as only half a person.

plus I can make 1 mill and still have him so I WILL have both thank you.

13. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

Raven makes a good point, I'll take the money.

*throws friend to the curb*

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

having a million dollars is no guarantee of that rosy future simon and others seem to think it is... i was married to a multi-millionaire and it was a miserable life, despite what you might consider the perks of wealth... and the idea of their father/step-father being wealthy and well-known, was the major factor leading to my estrangement from 6 of my 7 children [first 5 were not his by birth]... two of whom i still have no contact with to this day, to my great sorrow... the money wasn't more important to me than honesty and truth... to them, thanks to a conflicting set of values in my marriage, it was...

you're fooling yourselves if you think having a million today is going to give you permanent financial or any other kind of security... just look at big lottery winners for proof!... virtually all of them end up divorced and broke, within a couple of years...

15. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Only if I made my enemy or the person I hate my best friend then I would take the money. But other than that, I would rather have my friend. I know money can help with a lot of things but what about your friend? They can give you the love and support that money just can't!

16. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I have no friends. I'll take the money. :)

17. evizaer

evizaer New Member

I have no reason to take money over friendship. It wouldn't make sense. A best friend for your entire life will net you far more enjoyment and fulfillment than almost any quantity of money. A million dollars is a fairly small amount, though. If you had said a billion or a trillion, then this may have actually been a contest.

18. charms3468

charms3468 New Member

hmm, I'd take friends. I value friendship over alot of things and I wouldn't be the way I am today without all my friend's support. (*cough* the starter of this topic *cough*) but yeah, I agree with whoever said that they can earn wealth on their own because if you have it in your mind that you are going to work really hard at a job that you enjoy (possibly) then it will pay off and you'll feel good about yourself.

19. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I would take the million dollars and buy a pet store, because sometimes I'd rather stay home with my cat than hang around with friends.

20. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

What about taking the million bucks, and then split it with your best friend? Best of both worlds!

21. Raven

Raven Banned

Bad Idea.

22. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

Why's that?

23. Raven

Raven Banned

You'd lose half a Million. Why Else :p

24. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

What if you killed said friend afterwards, and stole the money?

25. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Then you're probably a psychopath, who has no friends anyway - just people who are momentarily useful.