1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Separating legends from main plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Elgaisma, Jul 27, 2010.

I have been rereading one section of my novel I have never been entirely happy with. I have a whole new world to describe and I have introduced the creation/pilgrim/fighting legends by having my main character describe a mural on the ceiling of his bedroom. However I think it runs on too much. Would adding a set of short stories to the back of the story, giving background to the world be a good idea?

2. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

You can either:

Cut it down to a minimum, giving only the important details that the reader needs, or,
    If that is impossible and plenty of information has to be given, because it is integral to the story, then introduce elements of it earlier, so that when the mural arrives, the reader already has some knowledge about it, but then you give them some new stuff, that is shocking or a 'head-turner'.

3. Elgaisma

Most of the information is needed, I can't really introduce it much earlier as I have some major none legend related events in the book. I am wondering about dispersing some of it later.

The only bit that isn't needed is the backstory of the first Christian to come to the Island, but my reviewers think its the best bit lol, and worth the superllous information

4. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

Then stay with it as is, because if it is needed, then the reader will understand.

5. Elgaisma

probably think its just boring me because I havr read it so many times lol, I am beginning to get heartily sick of my story I think I was right last week to stop working on it, but I went back to the one speech I knew was wrong and now I am at it again.

The story is fine the way it is, although my husband did suggest having a website with the legends and back short stories on it. And scenese that are good but didn't make the final cut etc

Having said that it would be better if I could tell the chunk a different way

6. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

Hubby is right - you can add more stuff there, that is not necessary for the book.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Better idea: Save the unused scraps for future stories.

8. Elgaisma

Some of the scenes can't be reused because I killed the character off at the end of the book, and he's my only 500 year old man lol

I'm liking the website idea, I can borrow a photo off my friend to start working on it. It may also help with approaching at least one of the publishers.

9. josh23

josh23 Banned

I think if you dont want it to run on you could introduce it as the novel proceeds, though i guess you would have to make sure the information is there before, or when it is needed.