1. Blue Owl

Blue Owl New Member

New and terrified out of my mind!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Blue Owl, May 2, 2012.

Hey there!

I only joined this forum a couple of hours ago, and I've already found it to be an amazing and resourceful site for young writers like myself. I'm still in high school, but have always had a way with words, a skill that my teachers always said that was beyond my years.

In addition to becoming a better writer, I hope to have heaps of fun and to make some friends while I'm with this forum. If anybody has some important tips that a writer with esteem issues should know, please PM me, because I really am struggling with my confidence as a writer.

- Blue Owl

:redface:

2. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Welcome to the forum. Why are you terrified? No one's going to reach through the screen and grab you. Look around join in when you want to. Feel free to ask questions. Stupid questions are often the best questions. Read the rules, they'll help.

3. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Here's where I can help.

I do not believe there is a thing called 'courage.' You have the family of man, and we all feel scared as rabbits when trouble or danger presents itself. The thing that separates the men from the boys is how you react.

You see a beautiful girl across an empty dance floor, go up to her and ask her to dance. Do you know how you get one date? You get your face slapped nine times.

I have broken a bone in every fight I have ever been in. I broke my neck in five places during a wreck. My current motorcycle is the fastest thing I have ever ridden. Yikes, I'm scared of my wife!

But what separates me from you is a lot of gray hair and the fact that I know you will never attain anything of value until you are bloodied.

You want something, fight for it. You want to be a good writer, then face the critics.

1 person likes this.
  4. Blue Owl

Blue Owl New Member

Thank you. I think I understand what you mean; that I have to take risks in order to reap the rewards. Or at least something like that.

5. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Oh, it's more than just writing. Everything you face will be a crossroads. LOL, I just told Live2Write that I'm afraid of redheads--because I am. Dating a redhead is like juggling chainsaws--lots of thrills at the beginning, bit it always ends in disaster. Then again, quite thrilling.

And that's the overall point. Why should other people have all of the fun just because they took a risk and you didn't? Inside, we all the Cowardly Lion.

My advice, do something today you have never attempted. A little victory. When the sky doesn't come crashing down on your head, you'll see the point. In most cases you'll say, "Why was I so afraid?"

I have guys at the gym that won't stand on the Gauntlet for more than 12 minutes. Oh, it might hurt. Yeah, it does hurt. Everything hurts. Carrying a gold bar to your car hurts, but would you leave one sittting on the ground for someone else?

Edit: Before I leave this morning I ask you to look at my avatar. That's me, late '60s or early '70s. New Harley and I had just been awarded my colors. I was about 19 years old. Just a few years older than you.

Do you know the difference between that boy and you? Absolutely nothing. That young biker just wasn't going to be stopped. And neither should you.

6. Blue Owl

Blue Owl New Member

Yeah, that's always been my problem. I've always played very safe with the bits and pieces of writing I've done. Heck, I've played safe my entire life! But I realise now that if I want to advance my writing (and who I am as a person) to another level, then I need to start taking chances.

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, Blue Owl!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirments. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills.

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself and Cogito) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

8. Langadune

Langadune Member

I'm from the part of Kansas that doesn't look like
    Fear is a natural instinct. What you do when fear arises is part of what defines you. That said, remember what makes you a writer. You write. You write because you must. Publishing or allowing others to read your work, that is a side-effect or a secondary consideration. When you write, you are writing for yourself, because it fulfills a need. Challenging yourself, pushing your limits and getting outside your comfort zone makes you a better writer.

Keep everything you write. Someday you'll look back and be impressed with how good you once were and how much you have improved since then.

9. Quentin David Jones

Quentin David Jones New Member

Welcome to the forums Blue Owl,

No need to be terrified .. it's a friendly place :)

Quentin David Jones

10. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forums

11. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Senior Member

Welcome to the forums, Blue Owl! If you need anything feel free to pm me and ask me any questions. If you also feel some questions are dumb, and would like to test the waters before you swim, so to speak, message them to me as well and we can both share a laugh. Believe me, I am the king of dumb questions. I have a lot of experience.

As for fear, it is natural. We humans, when you get down to the base of everything, experience two forms of emotion, in my opinion. They are both incredibly strong and show up in many, many forms. One is love, so powerful, it can bring strangers together to share in life, or people who have known each other for years and years, into a warm embrace and smiles with no words spoken. The experience of life. And then, we have fear, the ruler of everything opposite of love. Fear tells us we are not good enough, that we are stupid, that we cannot win and that we always lose. Fear wants us to stay hidden and to not experience life.

But in my opinion, what is love without fear and what is fear without love? These are the two things that make life beautiful, and you should be happy you experience fear and have the courage to acknowledge it. Sometimes, people will not mention it for the sake of pride and being fearful of creating an identify that is 'weak.' Look at you, you made a thread addressing it, in order to do something about it. Thats strength, and when it really boils down, love as well. A love for yourself that you may not be aware you had, stemming from trying to change yourself and your experience because you do not want to be scared. Also, a love for other people, because you are taking their opinions into consideration. Look at my bottom quote on my signature. Embrace it my friend. What is life without experience? Empty.

12. Blue Owl

Blue Owl New Member

Thanks for your wise words, GoldenGhost. I might just PM you some time, but I don't know when that will be.

13. Maiseyday

Maiseyday New Member

Hello and welcome Blue Owl. Belief in your ability to write is all you need. Think of all the different styles of writing there is, and realise yours too is unique. Don't worry about believing in yourself; this does not mean you are vain - read quote... Enjoy your writing.

I'll have to put the quote within the message as I can't yet work out how to insert it in the 'quote' section...

'Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.' (Jane Austen)

14. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

A few days have passed, Blue Owl, has it become any easier?

15. Faust

Faust Active Member

Welcome, new friend, to the most creative place on earth the internet!!

16. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Senior Member

PM anytime, for anything you need, even if it is just to say Hi. :)

17. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Lol I remember the ol'days (actually it was back in 2003-2007) I was in high school. I found writing to be my outlet and a way for me to write better.

I joined this forum because I looked back on my old composition notebooks of stories and a potential novel I am wanting to complete. I found that my ideas in high school were only the beginning. I found this forum to be a BIG help. It has answered a lot of my questions as well as reading other member's posts I was able to get an idea of how I should write and how I want to write.

I would offer some suggestions but those will have to wait for the PM.

Good luck and have fun!!!!

18. Blue Owl

Blue Owl New Member

The Tourist,

A lot more confident. I wasn't expecting so many people to notice my post... and for everybody to be so nice!