1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Films that literally put you to sleep. Literally.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Wreybies, Jun 24, 2013.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is like video Xanax to me. When I have insomnia, I pop it on.

Do you have a show or film that does the same for you? I'm not talking about just dull or boring films/shows, but ones that literally have the effect of putting you to sleep.

2. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

The new Brad Pitt film World War Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Lincoln. I'm sorry, I thought Daniel Day-Lewis was fantastic, but I wanted to fall asleep in the middle of it. I love history, but I would much have preferred reading Team of Rivals over seeing the movie.

4. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

Lord of the Rings

5. Mithrandir

Mithrandir New Member

In the general vicinity of the Atlantic Ocean
    Anything with Tom Hanks. His voice is just too soothing. :)

6. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Literally? The only film that literally put me to sleep was Mamma Mia. What a hype over absolutely nothing! :mad:

7. maskedhero

maskedhero Active Member

Not a film, but a football game. I'm a huge NFL fan, and I watch way too much of my favorite sport. There was a game on that I kept for whenever the insomnia hits me, between the Atlanta Falcons and Arizona Cardinals. http://www.footballdb.com/boxscore/2004092605

That game, a grand win of 6-3, is the best sleep inducing football game I've ever seen. Mistakes, penalties, long moments of nothing when referees talk. Not fun.

As to films that do it: Titanic

8. IronPalm

IronPalm Banned

Fantastic choice; I will second this. The book it's based upon is the literary Xanax companion piece.

As far as "classics", a lot of silent films are sleep-inducing, but none worse than Murnau's Nosferatu. It literally took me 10 whole days to watch it; I couldn't stand more than 5-10 minutes per viewing.

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I love Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World and have watched it many times (probably at least 20).

The films that put me to sleep are pretty much anything by Gore Verbinski, with the possible exception of Rango. Verbinski just overstuffs his movies with so much sheer, well, stuff that my eyes glaze over and I nod off. I sleep through his climactic action set pieces, even though he's putting out enough spectacle and noise to scare off a horde of demons. Probably his most sleep-inducing movie for me is Mouse Hunt, though the sequels to Pirates of the Caribbean come close.

jannert likes this.
  10. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

The new 007 movie. Yawn City. And all the new Batman movies. Haven't stayed awake through a single one. I know, I'm un-American. :p

11. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Steven Spielberg's Duel. I used to stay up in high school just to fall asleep to that damn awful movie

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Titanic. I think I have managed to see 90% of it, in bits and pieces, but I have never been able to watch more than half an hour at a time, from any starting point, without sawing logs.

13. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

I've never been able to watch all of the Transformers movies all the way through in one sitting. Without fail, they put me right out.

14. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

It has never occurred to me to even attempt that. I salute you!

15. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I have to brag. I saw Master and Commander while cruising the Galapagos Islands with 98 other science buffs including a couple experts in evolutionary biology. It was accompanied by many stories of Darwin's time on the Beagle following a similar route.

Can't say I paid much attention to the movie though, too many interesting people to chat with while it was on.

16. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

I've got a nephew who was 12 when the first one came out. Never say I never tried to be that one really cool uncle.

17. CyberFD

CyberFD Member

Fell asleep in Spring Breakers about four times. Glad I work at a theater so I didn't pay $10.50 for each attempt at watching it

18. Michael Shaw

Michael Shaw New Member

Has anyone here seen Snow White and the Huntsman? It's got the guy who was Thor, sure, but it also has Kristen Stewart... Don't remember half of it, was too busy catchin' the z's

19. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

I was laid up for two days with a third degree burn on my foot. The first day was spent constantly calling the kitchen making sure everything was going ok. After about six hours of that, nobody answered my calls anymore. The second day, I decided to have a Tolkien marathon. I started with The Hobbit (old school cartoon version) and then watched all three of the LOTR's. I finally fell asleep in the last thirty minutes of Return of the King, but that could have been due to the empty handle of Maker's on the floor.

20. killbill

killbill Member

This. Never rented it but tried couple of times to watch it on TV. It was either switching channel or falling asleep after ten-twenty minutes.

21. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I fell asleep during the Balrog scene in Fellowship of the Ring. I also recently fell asleep in After Earth. Lastly, Macbeth with Sam Worthington was so boring I dozed off a few times. All in the cinema mind you!

22. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I know it got a huge number of awards, and another Oscar for Daniel Day Lewis (whose acting I really love) but, despite several tries—I bought the DVD on spec—I cannot get past the first half hour or so of There Will Be Blood.

Normally, I love historically-based films (including Master and Commander!). Don't know why I just cannot stay awake for There Will Be Blood.

I struggled with The Hobbit, as well. Except for Martin Freeman as Bilbo, I think the rest was a waste of space. I did love LOTR, though.

23. Mauthos

Mauthos Member

Seven Samurai even though I actually think it is a cracking film, well acted and scripted, the un-cut version is so bloody long (approximately 207 minutes!) it always sends me to sleep so I end up watching it over a time period of normally a week.

24. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Dating myself but mainly

Harry Potter x8, Pokemon x5, The Ja Ja Binks film, Bladerunner and Apocalypse Now, James Bond. Children of the Sun world's worst ever surf movie - NZ answer to Endless Summer, essentially some Dad's home movie of teens frolicking.

Used to bedtime the boy with 'the Good the Bad and the Ugly' although would cover his face with a pillow during the pistol assasination scene at the beginning. Power Rangers the Movie also superb technicolor crafterpiece

'What's that terrible smell? Teeenagers ah haha.'

25. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

"Gods and Generals". Not only did I fall asleep, but I woke up with a backache.

OTOH, really horrifically bad films usually don't put me to sleep. They just irritate the hell out of me. The most recent case of this was that Bill Murray monstrosity about FDR. Murray was pretty good in it, but the film itself was just plain silly.

I'm usually very selective about what I pay to see (if I see ten new films a year, it's a lot).