3. Attack on Titan

4. Sword Arts Online

5. Bleach

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

Anime with a good story?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by theoriginalmonsterman, Jul 2, 2015.

The main anime I watch in my free time is One Piece, but I've caught up with all of its episodes so now I have to wait a week or two for a new episode.

That isn't bad or anything, but now what do I watch in the meantime? I've been meaning to check out the second season of SAO, but personally I want to find a brand new anime I've never heard of before. I'm currently watching the "Familiar of Zero" which is decent, and I just finished the first season of "Is it Weird to Pick up Girls in Dungeons".

If you haven't guess already I enjoy adventure/romance anime. Don't judge me that's just what appeals to me. I've tried Fairy Tail and Attack on Titans and I know some people might kill me, but I just couldn't find as much enjoyment in them as much as One Piece.

Anyways overall my question is: What are some anime that have good stories?

2. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners
    Fate/Zero

Also Attack on Titans was good, but just good, not that "BEST THING EVER" people claim. It was just the hype of the moment.

If you want a summary just ask me

3. Torack

Torack New Member

The thing that bothers me about anime it's mostly all action, little drama, and the story doesn't kick in until much later. I never watch anime for the story, only for the action sequences and visual style. However, a few animes did surprise me with a good plot, and that was Death Note, which is one of my favourite animes and the second half of Sword Art Online

4. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I've been watching Kill la Kill. It's...weird. But very interesting.

5. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Hoh?
    That's weird
    I'm not a big fan of SAO to be honest, but I think the first arc (first half of season 1) is the best and then declines. I've met several who agree with me. Gotta say you're the first one who prefers the second half that I've seen.

6. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

The first half of season 1 of SAO felt... Incomplete in someways. The Black Cats(was that the name?) by itself could have been a mini arc. The whole love story between the two leads was... Fast. One episode they were just starting a relationship and the next they are married.

So the general plot wasn't bad... But it was poorly done in my opinion.

Second half did a better job at this.

SAO 2's first half was even better as far as telling the story. The story was more focused and no sense of rushing through a bunch of stuff. That being said it brings up Laughing Coffin. A whole story arc could have been done on them in SAO... Would have made the GGO arc better.

But the best story has to be the last arc in SAO 2.

All in all I love the series.

Just thought I are my two cents.

7. Thunderface

Thunderface Member

Full Metal alchemist: brotherhood.

Tower of druaga

Samurai Champloo

I need to start a my anime list. It's hard being put on the spot.

8. theoriginalmonsterman

Went ahead and started watching Teen Titans. Shame it got cancelled though. ;-;

9. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

Ghost In The Shell, Akira, Ninja Scroll.

Samurai Champloo also.

Song likes this.
  10. DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse Member

I am an utter newbie to anime, I watched all of Death Note a while ago and loved it, I started watching Bleach some years ago and was so weirded out that I loved it and intend on picking it up again.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  11. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

+1

I really enjoyed Hunter x Hunter.

They dragged some of the last episodes to the ridiculous but otherwise it was great.

12. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Your question and title are two different questions. Ghost in the Shell is a good anime (well, the film is - it's quite clever) and Cowboy Bebop has some great stories and writing, and the main story is excellent. Ghost in the Shell has a fun story too, and it works in it's own world.

Most people here seem to be name dropping series, but what about the films, like Laputa or Spirited Away which are rather good? Aside from that, sorry to say, but I don't find anime stories are all that good. And I mean, everyone praises the story of Death Note but I have no idea why.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  13. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Neon Genesis Evangelion, old but good. :) It's certainly very plot focused. I've heard Akame ga Kill is also good, but I haven't seen it for myself yet.

14. Lemex

I've heard a lot of good things about this, apparently at the end it gets really existentialist. What's it about?

15. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Earth went through 2 apocalypses, and another one is on the horizon (now with space invaders!) so people are piloting these big machines called "evas" to stop the space invaders. More sinister stuff is happening behind the scenes. I can't go very much into the characters without explaining their deconstruction, past, etc. but we've got Shinji Ikari, son of the program director, Rei Ayanami, a clone/robot who will do anything for the program, Asuka, a hotheaded girl who abuses Shinji and makes fun of Rei, and kindhearted alcoholic Misato. But that's just the beginning! There's also Gendo, Shinji's distant dad, and Kaworu, a guy who is either evil or the messiah, depending on who you ask.

16. Lemex

The sounds pretty awesome. I'll check it out, thanks. :)

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  17. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Hey, no prob! I hope you like it!

Lemex likes this.
  18. Song

Song Active Member

Most of the ones you listed above are on going manga based anime that to me aren't focused on having a great story. They are much more fight based or power based anime. My favourite anime for story are usually the 13episode ones or the 21 episodes ones. Some of my favourite anime are as follows:-

Akira
    Ghost in the Shell (the movie and the tv show)
    Hibane Renmei
    Serial Experiment Lain
    Neo Genisis Evangelion
    Death Note (until the last episodes it's great)
    Escaflowne

They are getting a bit old now but they are still great. I just got back into anime and Kill a Kill is cool, completely insane but cool. The first arc of sword art online is great but it goes down hill after. Also never underestimate the power of Chobits.

19. MoonDreamer

MoonDreamer New Member

If you'd like a really good anime about mystery I would highly recoment Gosick. The story surprises you all the time and the characters are lovable. Of course that if we are talking about mystery anime Detective Conan is a must seen (but to be honest I've never watched it, it is way too long and it may require a lot of time).

Also in the mecha genre I could recoment Gundam Wing (1992), I'm currently watching it and I can say it has really good plot (with many twists and good action sequences too), interesting characters and it is not that long (only about 52 episodes, correct me if I'm wrong).

In comedy and romance, one that is really fun to watch is Ouran High School Host Club. The characters are so cute and they will definitely make you laught almost the entire series!

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  20. Pisces21

Pisces21 Member

one word. DURARARA!!

21. theoriginalmonsterman

I'm up for watching anime that span countless episodes. I have watched all the episodes of One Piece which spans well over 700 episodes :p

22. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Top - bottom = best to worst.

Gurren Lagann
    The World God Only Knows
    Parasyte- the maxim-
    S-cry-ed
    No Game No Life
    Kill la Kill
    ALDNOAH.ZERO
    Magi
    Fate/Zero

Honorable Mention:
    Dragon Ball Z Abridged (not really an anime, but its the funniest thing I've ever seen)

23. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

As for movies, I love Spirited Away and everything Ghibli. As for serials, I'd say Death Note.

But Now and Then, Here and There ranks top. It's a really bleak and crushing series about child soldiers in a post-apocalyptic setting. It was one of the stories that made me think of my position here in this world, and I saw this anime when I was twelve.

24. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Legend of Galactic Heroes. An epic of the ages that most of you never even heard of.

25. uncephalized

uncephalized Active Member

Seirei no Moribito - Guardian of the Sacred Spirit. Best story/drama I've seen in an anime.