Anime

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Writer Ray, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

That's a pretty good list there. The only one I haven't seen is Kara no Kyoukai. But I can't agree that original FMA was better than brotherhood. Brotherhood followed the original artist image of the manga so much better. And you got so much more resolution and explanation out of it.

Have you checked out Parasite -The Maxim- ? It just came out this season. Along with Teacher's Assassination Classroom. I fell in love with this series, it's one of the best I've seen in a few years.

2. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Ya hadn't seen KnK? you missed a lot, it's the same guy who wrote Fate Stay Night.
    Regarding FMA, yeah I know the first one is not the real, but I loved how dark and twisted it goes, the guy who wrote the filler was surely inspired.
    Parasite hadn't, it's on my list.

3. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Have you seen Death Note? It's pretty solid for an Anime. The whole theme around it is really captivating.

Megalith likes this.
  4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Yeah - it started out rather interestingly, and I liked L somewhat, but as soon as he went I began to realize just how silly it all was.

Fullmetal Xeno likes this.
  5. Lancie

Lancie Senior Member

My boyfriend is really into Hunter x Hunter, I just don't quite get the appeal. He also bought a load of One Piece dvds at comiccon last weekend and that's another one I'm not especially bothered with. I think next up for me is either Terraformers, Tokyo Ghoul, Fairy Tail or Fate/Stay Night or Zero...can't remember which one is which.

6. Fullmetal Xeno

Fairy Tail has the pink haired boy and the blue flying cat and Fate/Stay Night has people with swords lol. I've been watching Fairy Tail lately and it's an okay anime, but there are a few plot-holes that annoy me and almost all the female characters are scantly dressed so it's not for everyone. It has swearing in it but it's not too far off from Naruto on the maturity level at times. The core messages the protagonists have are good, also very similar to Naruto. I never heard of Terraformers or Tokyo Ghoul and i haven't really watched Fate/Stay Night too much but i bet they're pretty high quality.

7. lixAxil

As a big fan of the Fate series I can say it's pretty high quality. A quick summary is that it consists on a battle between 7 mages, each one summoning a Servant, which is a Hero from past legends and myths. The battle is in seek for the right to gain the Holy Grail which is kinda a wish granting device.
    However the very first anime adaption of Fate/Stay Night sucks really bad, if someone is kinda interested should skip that and watch the 2014 adaptation.
    Fate/Zero works as a prequel and damn it's pretty well written.

Both are pretty dark anime though.

Gotta add that Ufotable is pretty much the best anime studio imo

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  8. Lancie

Lancie Senior Member

Didn't realise there were two versions, I'm not sure what's on my account.

I'll be flipping a coin at this rate. Spoiled for choice on Crunchyroll

9. Megalith

Hunter X Hunter is such a good gritty series. Very few anime try and take it as far as Hunter X Hunter does. It reminds me of a much more realistic and in depth than Dragonball Z, which was one of my first and still, favorite anime's. I started watching it when I was still in elementary! It is silly, but it's a classic of sorts. I still watch Dragon Ball Kai which is nothing but a remake that is still airing.

Heck, just yesterday I watched the the newest movie with Lord Beerus the God of Destruction.
    Goku had to become a Super Saiyan God to stand a chance against him.

And Hunter X Hunter I like much more than Dragon Ball Z. The Spider Arch and the Ant King arch are so epic for their own individual reasons. Not to mention the struggle of becoming a Hunter at the beginning of the series. Their is a remake and I would recommend the remake if you like your stories with a quicker pace. It falls into the pace of the manga but it changes a few things in the beginning to make the slow beginning seem less grindy. (Although both have their merits)

I like the original Fate/Stay Night the best. What made it for me was the MC and Saber combo. Saber comes back in other series but not that BA of a whimp, Shiro Emiya.

I guess I just don't like how every Fate/ series keeps the same set up but the stories don't intermingle enough for me.

10. Lancie

Lancie Senior Member

He's up to the bit with the ant queen? She's about to pop out her king. I've not paid that much attention, definitely lost the plot with it, and the card game arch did my head in. I've never seen any of the Dragonball or Naturo, though so I probably don't have much to compare it to. I'll take your word for it, and inform him he's right about it's greatness :p

Megalith likes this.
  11. Megalith

Yeah, GREED island was really weird. That was definitely when the story started getting weaker in general. Still it was really cool how...

The Island was a giant training ground for all Nen users. And it was nifty to see how these prodigy kids compared to the average fighter and the exceptional one. Taking on enemies that are much more powerful than you is a trope that I sure as hell will never tire of.

Once it starts getting close to that climax he isn't going to be able to stop himself. When they begin executing their plan to take out the Ant King... He will probably marathon till the end which is 20+ plus episodes I think.

12. lixAxil

Well Hunter X Hunter is simply briliant. It took the most common and overused tropes in shonen and deconstructed them into pieces.

Specially the Chimera Ant arc which is the biggest deconstructor.

Megalith likes this.
  13. Lancie

Lancie Senior Member

What sort of tropes? Will be interesting to see next time I'm forced watching it to see if I pick up on them.

14. Megalith

Well it's all anime really. Anime is really bad at stepping away from tropes. It's like they are trapped behind the masses will to only produce things they like. The 'Otaku' culture is having a really negative effect on Anime characters and plots. But it's something that has been a blessing in disguise to some degree because it sure forces their hand on trying to breath fresh air into the same things that appear in every anime.

Fullmetal Xeno likes this.
  15. lixAxil

HxH has some aawesome battles, but is not its strong point unlike other shonens.
    It deals more with human nature's topics and some well written and convoluted plots.
    The topic of revenge at any fucking cost is a strong topic within the series, portrayed in at least two different acts, and it never ends well.

16. lixAxil

Well I'm someone who had read the novels. The stories are just different routes based on different options you take during the visual novel games.
    The first anime is focused on the first route but with a failed attempt to incorpore elements of the others on it.
    The 2014 anime is the second route, Unlimited Blade Works.
    And the incoming movie, Heaven's feel, will animate the third route, which in contrast with the two first which shares some similarities between them, is way darker and twisted, it takes the whole story to a different degree.

17. Fullmetal Xeno

Dragonall Z is much better than Naruto from my viewing, but there's no surprise there cause DBZ is a classic :p. The problem with Naruto is the lack of character development and constant filler. DBZ moves archs along at a quicker pace and has great character development. Bleach also has strong character development but of course it falls on the filler problem just like Naruto.

18. Lancie

Lancie Senior Member

For a series that has a bajillion (300-400??) episodes Bleach is bound to have a lot of filler! Am I right in thinking there have been complaints about filler arcs, and now companies are now starting to wait for the relevant mangas to continue before they start a new anime series?

19. lixAxil

filler arcs are the bane of anime

animenagai and Fullmetal Xeno like this.
  20. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

I was "forced" to watch a lot of anime series by my brother and my boyfriend.

The ones i've enjoyed were:

Death Note
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Deadman Wonderland
    Parasyte
    Tokyo Ghoul
    Death Parade

I really enjoyed the movie Summer Wars too.

I think I probably enjoy all the shows that appeal to people who don't really watch anime because the ones that are always the recommended ones to watch, I haven't been able to get into.

Megalith likes this.
  21. Megalith

I've also forced my sister to watch anime before. But they were very specific series that I knew she would enjoy, and she did a lot. But still whenever I recommend another series I think she will like, it is usually too much effort to get her to watch it....

Unit7 and Shbooblie like this.
  22. lixAxil

Summer Wars is awesome

Unit7 likes this.
  23. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I've never really been much into anime, I liked Sailor Moon when I was a kid, and Ghost in the Shell confused the hell out of me when I was twelve, but that's about it. I recently watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and was completely blown away.

Obviously not following anime I'd never even heard of it until earlier this month- someone referenced it on this forum and I wish I could remember the post now. What first stood out to me was how beautiful it was- the art style and direction is fantastic, and the soundtrack is absolutely gorgeous, so much so I'm trying to find it online on itunes. Beyond that though, the writing is superb- not a single scene is wasted, and it packs more substance in 12 short episodes than many live action shows do over 20+ hour seasons. While the first couple of episodes felt like a slightly more sophisticated take on a Sailor Moon-type story, it quickly blossoms into something far more... unique. Troubling, at times even heart breaking, but it never feels manipulative and avoids indulging in fan service.

I've heard there are some movies, and I'm a little torn on whether I should check them out or not- the ending is perfect as is, I'm not sure where else it can go. On the other hand I'd love to see another story with these characters.

24. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Senior Member

I can name lots of animes I've watched, but there are some with such original plots I just have to recommend them:

Samurai Champloo - If you have any interest in Japanese culture, you should definitely watch this anime. The balance between drama and action is also outstanding.

Attack on Titan - You probably heard of it, but don't worry, it's not overrated. The plot is very original. It's mostly addressed to a teenager public though (Shounen).

Code Geass - In my opinion even better than Death Note. The protagonist has a similar personality (aiming to control the world) and the plot is beautifully intricate. It's also a good shot if you enjoy robot fights.

Steins Gate - This one is for those who enjoy stories about time travelling. I found the plot to be very unique. I could definitely create a story of my own based on it.

Psycho Pass - A futuristic anime, and an unique portrayal of a dystopic world. A very good police story, and a good first-anime to watch if you think anime is childish. I don't recommend season 2 as I found it very disturbing.

I'll gladly give any other recommendation for whoever wants it.

25. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

Hmm... Most of the stuff I'd recommend is already here, in general I can like almost anything so long as it's well written and has decent characters.

Top 10 would be (Not in any order)

- Fate/Zero - Legendary Heroes of the past are called to act as servants in order to grant their master the right to The Grail, a device with the power to grant any wish the user sees fit. Kiritsugu Emiya wants to use the Grail to ensure peace on earth, but lacking the magical skills of other mages he resorts to more 'brutal' methods which draws the ire of his servant King Arthur.

- Fate/Stay Night (2014) - Made by the same guys and still ongoing, I would recommend watching this first because any twists in plot in this are present in F/Z and therefore ruin the twists F/SN takes.

Giant Killing - A Japanese Football player returns to the club he left to start their revival after his career is ended by injuries. Generally sports anime lack great characters or focus on one individual, in this one everyone is so diverse and distinct it creates a great story as to how they attempt to co-exist in order to succeed.

Shin Sekai Yori - Post Apocalyptic world which is so fucking insane it's difficult to properly describe but it's magnificent and brilliant and worth the watch, seriously cannot recommend this enough.

Monster - Doctor saves the life of a boy who in reality is a serial killer who implicates him in a crime ten years later, believing that he created the monster in saving the boy's life he tries to track down the boy and kill him whilst being chased by the police. Great Plot, Great Characters, The SUSPENSE is brilliant.

Psycho Pass - In a world where people are measured by their Psycho Passes a number which determines your likelihood to commit crime or serve to identify any mental conditions you have, Akane Tsunemori serves as a Police Inspector tasked with tracking down these people and apprehending them. In reality she's more of a side character the real story takes place between Shogo Makishima and Shinya Kogami, Makishima being a man who provides serial killers with the means to commit their crimes, his ultimate aim is to destroy the Psycho Pass system and Kogami being a former inspector who's Psycho Pass degenerated in his pursuit to capture Shogo in a previous case. Great Anime

Code Geass - After being given the power of absolute control over another human being, Lelouch a former Prince of Britannia seeks to bring the empire to it's knees in the pursuit of justice for his mother's death and the creation of a world in which the weak (Disabled) can survive and prosper.

I'm busy so I'll add these 3 with less detail

Cowboy Bepop - Space Opera about a man in pursuit of revenge against his former best friend.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood: Edward Elric is an alchemist in search of a way to bring back the body of his brother Alphonse and his missing limbs after trying to bring back their dead mother.

Shigatsu Wa Kimi no Uso - Arima is a talented pianist who stopped playing after the death of his mother, he meets Kaori Miyazono, a talented violinist who convinces him to return to the world of music after he hears her play.