1. Credulous Skeptic

Credulous Skeptic New Member

Anna Karenina

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Credulous Skeptic, May 23, 2009.

I've read a little more than half of this long book, and I have enjoyed the story so far. But I don't understand why it's considered a classic.

Does anyone know why this book has gotten so much attention and praise?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Most people consider it to be one of the most realistic novels and well written novels of all time. I think Tolstoy considered it to be his greatest literary accomplishment, even better than War and Peace. Other than that, I'm not too sure why it's considered to be the best novel written; I've never had a chance to read it. We were supposed to read this novel in one of my classes but because of time constraints, we never got to it. I'll keep it in mind for summer reading, though.

Also, I think Anna Karenina was on Oprah's reading list a while back which helps explain why it's gotten to popular in recent times.

3. WashingtonIrving

WashingtonIrving New Member

Well, I wouldn't say it was one of the best books that I've ever read, but you do need to recognise that it's not just a bunch of stuff that's happening to fictional characters, you need to make connections like realising that in part Levin's struggles mirrored Tolstoy's own. But what I think is best about it is that it is a multi-layered story that is of great scope and, if you let it, sweeps you away.

4. Credulous Skeptic

Credulous Skeptic New Member

Anna Karenina is such a wonderful book. Every character is interesting, and frightening. The more I read of Karenin, Anna's husband, the more I feel sorry for him.