1. meagen21

meagen21 New Member

books to check out...

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by meagen21, Apr 2, 2007.

Today I bought Phillip Sexton's "A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words." It is a writing excersise book, with a photo on one side of the page and a writing excersise on the other...it looks really interesting and worth the time.

Also, I am currently reading Stephen Kings book "On Writing." Half the book is an autobiography of him and how he got into writing and the other half of the book is his opinions and tips on writing a novel. I recommend this book, even the autobiography is worth reading, even if your not a fan of his work.

And if your into chic lit books then check out...

-Fly me to the Moon by Alson Noel.

2. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I really enjoyed
    "The Memoirs of Cleopatra"
    It is a ridiculously long book, yet when you are done reading it you feel sad that there isnt more. Like you became attacted to the characters and wanted to see how the rest of their lives panned out.
    It takes a lot of time to read though

3. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I know how you feel there...maybe not about that particular book though (seeing as i've never read it). A lot of books that I read just build up a mental picture in my mind and the really good books make you feel like you're there with the characters, a part of their lives...

Anyone else feel like that or am I just a weirdo?

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

At the Midnight Party for Harry Potter, I got two new books: World War Z, by Max Brooks (Who wrote The Essential Zombie Survival Guide), which is supposed to be an "oral history" of the Zombie War that almost destroyed humanity as we know it. (It's very creepy and very cool.)
    I also got a book called Epoch, which is a comedy about the apocalypse. (Geez, I've got something wired wrong in my sense of humor.)

5. Flozzie

Flozzie Active Member

The Game by Neil Strauss is worth a look.
    It's an auto biography if you will, about writer Neil Strauss' career as a pickup artist.
    He discovers that there is an underground movement of guys teaching others how to pick up girls, and if I remember correctly his editor suggests he get involved in this movement to write something about it.
    He does, and ends up being voted the Number 1 Pickup artist of the world, with thousands of guys copying his pick up teqniques.

It's kind of a bizarre read, at least I thought so. But it is written in a way that makes it enjoyable to read all the same, and even though I'm a woman (and therefore should probably dislike such books) I found it... well, interesting. Not that it was the most well written book I've ever read, but still.

6. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I have recently become a fan of Chuck Palahniuk novels. I reccomend Fight Club, Haunted, and Choke. Those are the three novels of his I have read thus far. I really think he's a fabulous storyteller. I usually don't realize I've been reading numerous chapters straight until either someone interrupts me or I get hungry, lol.

7. Kratos

Kratos New Member

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Check those two out. :cool:

8. rumplestiltzkin

rumplestiltzkin New Member

Feel like it all the time. I've read some stories over ten times just because I loved the characters so much....and I guess that's why I've always focused mostly on my characters while writing.

9. rumplestiltzkin

rumplestiltzkin New Member

And I just read the Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop....it was amazing. You should read it, no matter what...

10. Jinx1115

Jinx1115 New Member

Septimus Heap Book One - Magyk
    Septimus Heap Book Two - Flyte
    Septimus Heap Book Three - Physik
    Septimus Heap Book Four - Queste

(I should say the two first books are the best but the series if worth the read.)

11. skip slocum

skip slocum New Member

<--<< ;) Good knight Sweet Love

Being a descendent of Odin has powers that must be controlled. But coming of age gets even more complicated when Matt unexpectedly finds love while walking the path to manhood. The Keening was a gift from Odin to serve the first born of each generation but it must be kept a secret in this Celtic world of kings and evils. The Keening changes with everyone it comes to so not even Grandpa knows what to expect when it grows in Matt.

The amulet called The Eye of Odin also has secrets…:redface: