1. Ariella Bear

Ariella Bear Member

1st VS 3rd Person

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Ariella Bear, Apr 22, 2016.

I struggle with finding a comfortable "person" to write in. For example, I will begin in 1st then think I should change it to 3rd, and go back and forth repeatedly. For a novel, what do you find is:

a) The best form to write in
    b) What is well received by audiences
    c) Which do you personally prefer and why

Thanks everyone :)
    PS. This is my first Thread so go easy on me hahah :D

2. Samuel Lighton

Samuel Lighton Senior Member

A) Both. I usually have my MC as first person, and all other perspectives as third person unless I feel it necessary to have someone else as first.

B) Dunno, whatever you want to write I'd guess?

C) Neither, each of them is as useful a tool but for different reasons. One provides internal insight, the other provides neutral observation.

One thing I have to say, is that both of these are tools in your toolbox for writing, so don't be afraid to use either exclusively or switching it up between them throughout your writing. Just bear in mind that although they are tools, it's up to you to use them, and just like any craftsman you can use them badly or proficiently. But that is something you learn as you write more. You'll find your comfortable seat for how to write as you experience and develop your own style. This is your writing, and no one else's, so don't be afraid to fall down when you write, because when you get back up you're not going to trip on that same stair again.

Ariella Bear likes this.
  3. Ariella Bear

Ariella Bear Member

Thanks You Samuel! I guess I am afraid to chop and change between 1st and 3rd. I have read a couple of books that seem to do that, and for them it works. I need to get into my head that I am the master of my writing, and that I can change what is written. Hahaha Seems a bit silly now that I write it aloud (so to speak). I will try to use both and I guess I'll either find one that is good for my characters and the plot of the story or attempt to use both. Thanks again

4. Samuel Lighton

Samuel Lighton Senior Member

You'll find your style as you write :) don't be afraid to make mistakes, and always take criticism as a positive, not a negative. It halp you write gud!

Tea@3 and Ariella Bear like this.