1. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

How to show what is being read?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Gannon, Sep 25, 2007.

How would you correctly represent that something is being read by a character? If it were small is could be contained within the main body of the text but I imagine a longer piece would stand alone? If it were an exit sign that would be small, how about an extract from a newspaper or a web article?

How would this be written into a story and shown? In different type face? Speech marks? Itallics? Your advice please.

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I have always used italics but I am not too sure if it is correct to do so.

3. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

I've seen it done in a block indent, two spaces above and below, indents maybe 1" to segregate the article. Hope my "formatting" shows up.

Paragraph, yada yada yada
    space
    indent (Quote)
    quote quote quote
    quote quote quote...
    space
    Paragraph, Yada yada yada

nope the indents did not show up--- not in this format.

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    For small bits of reading it's italicized. For longer bits of reading its indented.

5. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Thanks. and FYI (courtesy of Wikipedia)

Indentation in typesetting

There are two main types of first-line indent: normal and hanging. A "normal" indent indents the first line one centimetre.

The other kind, a hanging indent, indents the rest of the text while leaving the first line in place.

6. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I couldn't tell you what type of indent you want, I'm just looking at a few of my books. And I made a mistake, all readings are in italics.

7. DavidGil

DavidGil New Member

He snatched the card eagerly and read the message, which was in fine print.

Jamie Hulligan,

We hereby invite you to the party to be held at the Bruque Memorial House, on St. Edmund’s Day.

Be sure to present yourself in a respectable manner. Present this to the doorman on arrival.

His eyes were lit up and his face positively aglow.

That is how I do it at least. I treat reading on the rare occasions I use it the same as the rest of the writing except I italicise it and put a line gap from the main body of the text.

I make sure also that readers are aware somethings being read.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's best to use the hanging indent and regular font for longer pieces and leave it up to the publisher whether they want to add italics or not...

9. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

It is always best to find out which STYLE GUIDE is acceptable in the area where you are doing your writing. There are many. MLA, AP, New York Times, Turabian Manual (dissertations), various others (Re: your own country or place where you wish to publish). If you start with one style guide, stick with it throughout. Style Guides tell you things like what to italicize, capitalize, format and so forth. I have a whole stack of style guides. They are something you tend to collect as a writer, along with dictionaries, slang and idiom phrase books, usage guides. I just looked around some more and the only thing specific is that if it is over 4 lines you block indent.