1. Moima

Moima Member

Another newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Moima, Apr 6, 2014.

Hello everyone,

I just joined this website and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm not a writer per se, more like a writer wannabe. One thing has always stopped me - I am not a native English speaker and I don't know if my English is or ever will be good enough! But still, I love the English language and when I do write, I do so only in English. Can't explain why, it feels closer to my heart.

I do not plan to write novels, I much prefer articles/short stories. I am a psychology student and I have written few psychology articles. I would love to write more but I'm just too unsure of myself at the moment. It feels like I'm standing at crossroads and I have a choice: either I will dedicate myself to writing, or... not.

So anyway, I joined this forum to read more about writing techniques and processes of other writers.

See you around.

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi Moima :)

Welcome to the forum! There's a lot of English as Foreign Language writers here, so you should fit right in. What's your native language, if I may ask? :)

Please have a look through the Forum Rules, and the FAQ as a start.

Have fun!

-Kat

3. Marcus Burzum

Marcus Burzum Member

Hi Moima! I not a native English speaker too, but most of the book I read and the TV show I watch are in English, so it's not so hard for me to think in English, even I often make grammar errors.

Where are you from?

4. Moima

Moima Member

Thank you both for your replies!

I'm originally from the Czech Republic but I have lived in the UK (on and off) since 1999. So yes, Marcus, I think in English too, I do everything in English! I have never really been attached to the Czech Republic anyway, so I haven't read a Czech book (or watched a Czech movie) in ages.

I wonder if a non-native speaker can ever be as eloquent as a native one? The subtle nuances in word meanings are so very hard to explain or translate and although I read a lot and I think I have developed a sixth sense when it comes down to what 'sounds right', I'm never sure if it actually is right.

I love words. And you know when they say that a picture is worth a thousand words? I think often a picture could be described by just one perfect word.