1. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

A two book series?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by I.A. By the Barn, Jan 28, 2016.

I given up on my idea of my murder mystery...for now ;). But I have been OUTLINING my fantasy series (wow!!) rather than just trying to write whatever pours out of my brain and so I've been doing a lot of cutting and slashing to my trilogy, so much in fact I realised that I was trying to squeeze out a third book that isn't needed. However do two book series exist or work? What are they even called for starters? dilogy, duet, dulogy, biology...wait.

So basically I want your opinion on whether a two book fantasy series can work or not! Thanks!

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    That is kind of like what I am working on. (sequel in progress) I don't see why it couldn't work, considering when you don't need a third, but have to much for a singular. Sure there are a ton of trilogies, and series (still not sure how many min. takes to make a series). Maybe we can start a new trend by having the first dulogies, unless someone has already done that, but I cannot think of any off the top of my mind. Apparently they do exist but are not very common, and no one seems to know what to call them. So yeah you can have a two book story. :D

3. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

I'm glad I'm not the only one...:D

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Mine's a duology.

5. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Mine's a duology as well. I'd say it's a much better idea to do something uncommon (writing two books instead of one or two) than to stretch it into three books and fill it with unnecessary story just to make it long enough. It'll only succeed in boring the reader. Look at Twilight. I can't remember which one it was, but one of the middle books was pure filler. A lot of backstory, a lot of legends, absolutely nothing of value in almost the entire book. I read it just to get to the end, but I think the series would've benefited much more from not including that book at all.

6. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I think I've heard them called couplets. But then some people like to call their trilogies triptychs to be fancy - call it whatever you want. Call it a doubloon. I like to be useless at words and call them "a book and its sequel".

Good luck outlining! It's actually one of my favorite parts of the process.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    I.A. By the Barn and Cave Troll like this.
  7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Two book series (duologies) definitely exist.