1. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

Another question on POV. Multiple ones.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by HorusEye, Sep 14, 2009.

Hi,

I'm having an issue with voices. I think I would like to keep my main story line - concerning my MC - in first person. Essentially every scene he partakes in should be seen from his POV.

Then I'd like to have scenes that are beyond his sight, even stories of someone else's past. I'd like to have these seen in a 3rd person omniscient view.

But how do I seperate them? How do I make it clear that it is no longer my MC's voice we are hearing? Readers might think he is also the one telling the 3rd person tales of others, and then they would wonder how he'd know.

Let me point out that I'm writing a graphic novel, not a classic one. So I could resort to changing the font for the other POVs... But if I can avoid this cheap trick I'd like to.

Input much appreciated.

2. Atari

Atari Active Member

Odd that no one has answered.

I don't know what a graphic novel is, but normally, people separate it by chapters and context.

It's generally fairly obvious if the narrator is an omniscient, nondescript voice, since he'll be without personal character.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Graphic novels are not traditional novels. You really should not present that little detail as if it is an afterthought.

I'd probably frame the omniscient panels differently as a visual cue, and either provide a character whose POV these outside events are known to, or introduce the series with a text callout at the top left of the first panel.

But this question really isn't a writing question. It's unique to the visual medium you are choosing to tell the story.

4. HorusEye

Yes, I'm aware that there's a world of difference :) I was still curious about the ways one would solve this in a novel though, as it perhaps could give me some ideas that didn't rely on visuals. Although I'm using the comic medium, the story is fairly wordy, using description as well as introspective monologues.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

You could always start a new chapter when the POV changes.

6. arron89

arron89 Banned

Generally when you are making big changes like tat in a graphic novel, a stylistic distinction is involved. Changing fonts, colours or styles is not a cheap trick, its basically industry standard. If you want to see a dfferent approach, have a look at Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison and (the insurpassable) Dave McKean...the way he handles the shift between Arkham in the past and present is quite novel, although hardly typical.

7. HorusEye

I'll delve into it, thanksverymuch :)

8. Operaghost

Operaghost Contributing Member

You could even try something as simple as a different font., or simply start a completely new paragraph, both of which are seen in lindsays dexter in the dark, (the only dexter novel to break away from the entire first person POV concept) to indictae duifferent POV that are being offered (Strangely enough they are all in first person but not from dexters POV)

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, but that's a bad idea. Your writing should never depend on typographic tricks.