Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

Another unarmed black man murdered

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Lea`Brooks, Apr 8, 2015.

South Carolina Officer Charged with Murder in Black Man's Death

I... have no words for this. I'm heartbroken. I've been near tears since I first heard this story. Two lives were ruined by this event: Walter Scott, who was unjustly murdered, and Michael Slager, the officer who will probably spend the rest of his life in jail.

My main question is... With all the controversy right now with unarmed men being killed by the police, why would Slager not be more careful? Seriously. Use your fucking brain. What did you think would happen? You stage the scene, claim self defense, and hope it all goes away? It pisses me off. But it makes me so incredibly sad. If this officer had maybe just taken a second, a split second to consider his options, maybe, just maybe, Walter wouldn't be dead.

It makes me wonder. What needs to be done to stop this from happening in the future. Police in the UK don't even carry guns. Does the US need to go that extreme? Or do they need to be trained to injure, not kill? Do they need to wear body cameras? I read somewhere during this research (can't find it now) that US police officers killed 1,192 people last year. Is it just me, or is that number too high?

I'm just so sick of seeing these stories. I feel them so deeply, and it's physically draining on me. I don't care if he's a he or a she, if he's black, white, or orange, if he's a criminal or a saint. Police need to stop killing suspects. If they run, you chase them, you catch them, you charge them with resisting arrest. You don't shoot them in the fucking back.

I'm just heartbroken... I'll be losing sleep on this tonight.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You're asking the wrong question. The more important question is, how does a man who has such little value for another's life get through screening to get a job in law enforcement and how many other sociopaths are there on the nation's police forces?

There was no quick second decision there. A cop was annoyed his power was disrespected and he simply shot and killed a fleeing suspect then tried to plant evidence.

Hooray for good citizens with omnipresent cameras.

3. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

That citizen should get ~$10,000 reward, which can be deducted from police funds. Obviously, cops need to be watched.

Mike Hill likes this.
  4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

That's awful! :(

But is this epidemic, or is it a matter of few really bad apples? You have lots of police officers in the US, don't you, most of them responsible and pretty good at what they do?

Not sure if stripping cops off guns will help. The criminals will have them, in the US especially, so depriving the cops of the means to protect themselves seems pretty irresponsible to me. In the UK it kinda works 'cause no one's allowed to carry... or own firearms without jumping through hoops of fire first.

In Finland and Sweden cops still carry guns (actually, I'm not 100% sure about Sweden), but fires shot per year are usually counted in single digits. With Finland it kinda makes sense with our population of twelve and declining. Sweden's a bit more big world-y, yet the cops find other means to deal with the criminals. They also have tight gun control. Norway is similar to the UK, but they also have a low crime rate. Sporadic insanity does occur everywhere, like Anders Breivik mass killing those teenagers, so in my opinion the cops should be armed to be able to deal with that one in ten years SHTF case... So perhaps we should focus more on the mental (and physical) well-being of the cops? It's a high-stress job, and it's easy for us civilians to judge their actions, but sometimes (not saying here), it can feel like a life-and-death decision you have to make in a split second... It's not gonna be an easy choice, and sometimes things go horribly wrong.

So... what would be the solution? Better and recurring psych tests for all cops? Canadian style gun control?

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

This is a terrible story. My heart goes out to this guy - the video makes me feel rather ill.

Stories like this make me so glad I live in the UK. They convince me more that the British system is the fairest, most intelligent, and best.

6. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

All cops should wear cameras so every move they make is recorded. Any alterations to the recording tools should result in serious consequences, up to and including removal from the force.

Training should be changed so police aren't trained to meet every problem with aggression. There are ways to solve problems other than application of brute, weapons-supported authority.

All officers should spend time doing community policing, getting to know the people they protect and serve.

All complaints and incidents of aggression should be treated seriously. If there is, for some reason, no camera footage of the incident, then the officer loses the right to have his word considered and the citizen making the complaint wins. If the camera footage supports the citizen's complaint, the officer should face real discipline, retraining, and re-evaluation as to fitness.

etc. There are probably lots more little ideas. What's got to happen, really, is for the people to demand that this stop. Police are public servants, and they need to be treated as such. They aren't beyond the law. Or at least, they shouldn't be.

Mike Hill, 123456789 and Lea`Brooks like this.
  7. Lance Schukies

Lance Schukies Active Member

since moving from Australia I have been reading more about America, from what I can tell it seems to be a lack of professionalism in the law enforcement , the process of voting for sheriff's and judges allows the wrong people into positions of power.

8. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

I agree police shouldn't have their guns taken away. America is dangerous, and by taking away their weapons, there would only be more dead cops instead of dead suspects.

I read an article by a local news station today.. Students at a local college are worried about police brutality so they invited the community and a police officer to explain their rights during a traffic stop. And the officer said, "Police aren't trained to fire a warning shot. If they pull their weapon, it's to use it." He also said, though, that they are supposed to use it as a last resort — when they fear for their lives or the lives of others.

In this case, the officer had no reason to kill that man. So I think the best way to prevent this from happening is what has already been suggested. Better screening for police officers. Different training (shoot to disable instead of shoot to kill, or better yet, don't shoot at all). Body cameras. Accountability in death by cop cases.

In this case, the cops story just didn't line up with the video evidence at all, and it even appeared he was trying to stage the crime scene to suit his story (by dropping the taser closer to the victim's body). I'm just glad that, for once, video evidence assisted in justice. The cop was fired, charged with murder, and his bond was denied. But if there wasn't a video? What might have happened then? Would he have gotten away with it? It's hard to say.

I really believe body cameras PLUS dashboard cameras would drastically reduce these crimes. It's already been proven (in some state, I can't remember which) that it works. I just don't understand why more states aren't doing it.

I'm even more upset by the comments people are making. "He shouldn't have ran!" When did the punishment for resisting arrest become murder? People are trying to justify this man's death, but for what? There's no justice in killing him, and I seriously can't understand how anyone could think that.

And now the #BlackLivesMatter slogan is back in the media. There are more rallies and protests. And people are again saying #AllLivesMatter... And I don't know how I feel about that. I agree that all lives matter. But I feel that people who say that don't fully understand the slogan and the reason for it.

There's such a sharp divide in America right now. Those who believe in white privilege and those who don't. Those who support gay marriage and those who don't. The more of these stories I see, the more I'm afraid of another civil war. That may be extreme... But it scares me. Truly. And I'm worried America isn't going to recover any time soon.

9. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It's only a few cops, but the police culture is conducive to the problem. The police are not doing enough to police themselves and at the moment the pendulum has swung toward a negative culture among a lot of police departments: cops cover up for each other and hold serious biases against people, sometimes against innocent people.

I do some work with cops and see them in the station. They'll defend the worst cop behavior as the victim's fault and with many shootings they believe it was "suicide by cop". That's classic victim blaming.

This country cannot disarm, it's impossible even if it would be tolerated which it wouldn't be. There are too many guns in the country.

There needs to be a cultural change. I think all the cell phone cameras out there are going to trigger that change. I do hope body cams become standard equipment for cops everywhere in the country.

I want to see something happen in that department to address the coverup. That other officer standing next to the body when the taser was planted, and apparently in the report it is claimed CPR was given when it wasn't, needs to be addressed. At a minimum anyone involved in the false report needs to be fired. I think they should be prosecuted given the circumstances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.