1. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid

Another useful link

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Gloom Kitty, Jan 28, 2008.

2. Stinger

Stinger Senior Member

Chokh merci.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why do you think this is a great site?... who's the person/people who claim/s to be knowledgeable in all those areas?... have you checked out the accuracy and quality of the advice being given?...

i have to be more than a bit skeptical, after checking out a few of the offerings and finding there are no by lines anywhere and many blatant goofs in grammar, typos, etc., along with not so good advice and out and out wrong stuff...

here are the sections i checked [ones i mentor writers in, btw]:

How to write a working screenplay
    How to write short stories
    How to write song lyrics
    Five traps to avoid when re writing a manuscript
    How to write a query letter

i'm sure you meant well, gk, but i would not recommend a site so rife with basic writing mistakes and poor-to-bad info, to anyone...

love and hugs, maia

4. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

While I respect your thoughts i think the way you respond to most of my threads isn't very nice. No offence I'm sure not everyone feels the same.

While grammar might be an issue. It is not what is intended some may need to know the basics of character or another form of writing. It is not there to help you gramatically. It is on offer to show these forms. A link, is a link the writers can take what they will and disguard what they don't need. I understand that you are a good writer and you seem to be looked up to. But please don't break the self asteem of others who are learning and declare what they find and think useful, useless. Leave it up to the other writers to decide

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Still, if a site offering authoritative writing advice shows widespread blatant SPAG errors, you have to wonder how solid their advice is.

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Gloom Kitty,

While I've frequented WritingForums, I haven't noticed Mammamaia being rude or inconsiderate of you, or really others on the forum. And to be sure, Mammamaia and I don't always come down on the same side of issues discussed here at WF.

Here you posted a link, recommending it and the contents found there. Mammamaia took the time to examine and review, and make an assessment based on her experience. I very much doubt the effort was meant to denigrate you or to knock on your self esteem as a writer or contributor to this forum.

Gloom Kitty, you believe the writing advice on the link is useful. Mammamaia does not and briefly explained why. Given the information, writers have more than one POV before they themselves enter the site and determine how useful the information is.

For example, some writers think Stephen King's book, On Writing offers sound and useful insight and advice on writing. Others find it didn't meet their expectations or needs, or simply was off the mark. Taking in what aspiring writers and some successful writers have to say about the book before one reads it can help a writer focus and be more aware in (among other things):
    A. Deciding if they want to read it...based on content, style, information, etc.
    B. What sections or areas to read with a critical eye.
    C. What the writer could hope/expect to come away with after reading it.

If a writer were to boast about having read Stephen King's book On Writing, should other writers who took the plunge and read the same book, not comment if they see things differently than the first reader to post? Or should they remain silent, as it might make the original poster feel bad if they don't agree?

If there is a pattern of you posting, Gloom Kitty, and Mammamaia following up and automatically disagreeing in a manner that isn't nice, it hasn't stood out to me. But then again, I've not been looking. I'm going by my past experiences when our paths have crossed on the forums.

Terry

7. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

Yes very true, however everyone learns as they go along and share what they have learnt. Even if they haven't learnt much on grammars behalf

8. Stinger

Stinger Senior Member

I found it not a bad site. Maybe because I don't care for SPAG.

And about really learning about writing, most useful book on earth is The Aspects of Novel by E. M. Forester.

9. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

Well Axe you've actually put my mind at ease lol. I have to say I agree full with what you said.

10. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

I will have to check that out sounds like a good book

11. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

Maia since you seem to know a lot about writing maybe you could link us some good sites and TW you've gotten a written pieces on writing on a site could we have the links for those too?

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There is a list of links on this thread. In fact, mammamaia has provided the pointers to a number of these resources.

13. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Gloom Kitty,
    I have a page on my website that lists places I think might be useful to writers: http://www.ervin-author.com/writingsites.htm

Terry

14. mammamaia

gk... i think your objections to my post have been well enough dealt with by some of my forum mates here [gracias, amigos!], so i won't prolong the debate by responding further...

as for my giving you links, that too, has been dealt with, by cog's kind post... if you want more, please don't hesitate to drop me an email and let me know what aspects of writing you'd like tips on, as i have amassed way too many sites and articles, etc. over the years i've been helping writers, to post here... and they include all the various mediums comprising the writing arts...

i will say that i'm sorry you feel my sometimes a bit blunt replies are not friendly enough for you, but as all who know me know, i don't sugar-coat the awful truth, as so many do, knowing that a kind little white lie never is ['kind' that is]... you are, of course, free to ignore my posts, if you don't like what i have to say or how i say it...

it may help you to know that i'm nearly 70 and don't have time to waste on pleasantries, when i'm busy helping folks both online and here, on my little island, pretty much 24/7...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

15. JustinaB

JustinaB Active Member

When I had a hard time starting to write I found this site: Forward Motion Index

Her site really inspired me just to start.

16. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

Fair enough please except my apologies

17. mammamaia

no prob... all is forgiven ;-)

glad to see some leeway is allowed us crotchety old codgers...

hugs, m

18. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

In my opinion you earnt it :-D