1. torby

torby New Member

Is this a good idea for my writing?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by torby, Jun 12, 2012.

Been searching the forums for hints and tips and so far getting on quite well, but I suppose the best idea is to set my stall out and ask a few questions....

I've been wanting to write this ***** (don't know if its a short story, novel or what yet) for quite a few years. Basically, it's about my time playing in a band here in Northern Ireland during the 80's.

I have my working title and so far (don't know if this is the correct way to do it) I've named about 12 "chapters" as the basis of my writing is to do with the gigs and some of the wierd and amazing things that happened. e.g.

Chapter 1 Rehearsals
    Chapter 2 The First Gig
    Chapter 3 The Lights all Went Out
    Chapter 4 The drugs Don't Work

Some of the gigs were funny; frightening (troubles here in Northern Ireland caused a few headaches) disasterous...you name it...it happened to us.

All of the accounts are factual, some rude, some involving illegal substances, some with sexual elements and some just plain old tomfoolery.

I'm writing it so each chapter is a stand-alone story of a gig, yet there is obviously a common thread ( the band) running through it.

Should I use actual names of the characters? or should I change them? I think some people might/could take offence but I want it to be as true a representation of what happened in that period.

I think each chapter will come in around 2000 words until I add a bit more flesh to it, possibly 3000 words...so it may sound a bit short...yet I think because of the format, its not exactly a short story...it could however be the sort of thing that may lend itself to a film (movie) or even a series of shorts.

I'm enthusiastic although not great at writing and I realise not many people will even find it interesting, but because its true and everytime I recount some of the tales, I find myself thinking, I could write a book on this!

So any hints or tips are most welcome....

thanks

Torb

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. What matters is how you write it: the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's absolutely no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

3. Egor

Egor New Member

I'm not sure if this is a fictional idea or a memoir. It sounds like you're talking about a non-fiction idea.

But like Cogito says, ideas really are nothing. Everyone has lots of ideas. An idea sounds great to the author; a finished work however is what readers want.

Good luck, Torby.

4. killbill

killbill Member

Memoir or fiction you still require all the elements of storytelling: plot, character development, conflict, some sort of resolution of conflict. The only difference between the two is that memoirs already have the setting, the characters and scenes (as in events already happened in your life), which may seem advantageous to the writer. But this, often in bad memoir or fiction based on real life events, becomes the downfall of the book because the writer can't resist writing many details which may not be necessary. My point is you don't have to include all the events that happened to you or your band. So, pick and align the true events in such a way that you have the plot of a good story.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Why not test it out first? Write a short story based on one incident, memory and see how it goes, before undertaking a full novel.

6. torby

torby New Member

thats great...thanks for the input so far guys...plenty to think about and start the creative juices flowing.

7. joanna

joanna Active Member

You might want to discuss this with the people you're writing about, or with an attorney, if you get to a stage where you're looking at publication.

In the meantime, write the story. It'll be great practice and entertainment for yourself, if nothing else. Sounds like a fun project.

8. Don't use their actual names. Just use them as character templates, change their names. It's not their names that makes them who they are to you, it's...well, who they are to you that makes them who they are to you. A name means nothing, so you might as well change it to avoid offending anyone.

2000 words for a first draft... well it's up to you. I tend to aim for 3000 then make it longer when I edit, but it's your call. I wouldn't worry about the length right now anyway. Just try and finish the first draft. Don't worry about whether or not it's a collection of short stories, or if it's a novel. Write it the best you can right now, then during the next stages you'll have a better idea of what you want to do with it.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you are writing about real people, consult a literary attorney. Just changing names is not enough to protect you.

10. torby

torby New Member

thanks again everyone for the recent posts...