any experienced editors or people who have gotten publushed?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by writerdude11, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Baz the WarriorDreamer

Baz the WarriorDreamer Member

Oh trust me, I can find a way to grow and improve my storyline even from a single sentence said about my work. Someone once said they hated one of my stories because they thought the characters were generic and crap. Although, the person was a pretty bitter and rude person so I didnt take too much offence from that. But what I did to was flesh out the characters more anyway, because that is always an important thing to do. It makes absolute sure they are in no way flat. So what I'm getting at, is I am not asking people to pat me on the head and say I've written a good story (I've had that before and its no help). But what I do need is people telling me where I'm going wrong. Even if it's just a few comments. I dont know about writing tutors, do they charge by the hour or something? Im still a student age.

Thanks lettuce head, good luck with your stuff too.

2. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

OP, I've been published a few times (short fiction) and I'm a professional technical writer by trade. I've coached two people in the creation of their personal manuscripts and I've critiqued hundreds of stories between this site and local workshops. I have 10-month-old twins at home, so my time is hit-and-miss, but if you are fine with me taking a while, I'll gladly look it over and give you some notes. For free.

I heart you Maia. I think that it is great that you offer that service. I actually referred an aspiring writer your way; I don't know if he ever contacted you, but I tried. People like you help me keep my faith in this world.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

thanks for the kind words, kyle!... and the referral... if you want to know whether your referral ended up with me, email me his/her name [if you recall it] and i'll check my files...

i'm so glad you're back among us... you've been sorely missed...

hugs, m