1. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributing Member Contributor

Any habits your have in writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Gallowglass, Jun 11, 2009.

Am I then only one here who has their own writing traditions? Or do other people put historical quotes and proverbs at the beginning of chapters? Do you name your chapters according to events or by number? What other things do you do that are your own traditions?

2. ChaseRoberts

ChaseRoberts Senior Member

I don't know about traditions, as such, but having just read over my recent work, I've noticed I have a really terrible habit of failing to end my chapters, they more just stop. Every single chapter. I mean, good grief. :(

I like to start my book off with a relevant quote from a good source.

And of course, my greatest writing tradition- failing to finish anything I start writing.

3. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I have a foster brother/best friend and there is always a character, no matter how minor, with his first name.

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

I'm really tempted to name my chapters Gulliver's Travels Style (Chapter one, in which the narrator visits the king and is asked to take a tour of the kingdom with his highness, following which there is an invasion by the enemy which is thwarted by the narrator.) but really it would serve no purpose other than to make me laugh and my publishers reject me.

5. architectus

architectus Banned

I've noticed in all my novels have glowing things in them, whether glowing drinks, neon strips, or something. I guess I like things that glow.

6. dagda24

dagda24 Member

Will it ever end?

I too have the problem of not evr finishing my stories. That's definitely my most pronounced writing tradition.

The other one being planning out a whole story based around character A, then starting to write and discovering that the whole thing is really about character B. That pesky character B!