1. ang1stokes

ang1stokes New Member

corn dogs and biscuits

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ang1stokes, Feb 5, 2010.

OK, THIS IS ABOUT MY DAUGHTER

Corn dogs and biscuits!
    There's nothing wrong with this combination of food– ok yes there is something wrong with this especially if she had it the night before and the night before that. Ok there's a huge array of food in our fridge, my husband is a chef. Variety is the spice of life and that applies to everyone but her! He will make this huge dinner of flat iron steak with cheese risotto steamed broccoli French baguettes with blue cheese um yum right. Alanna gets corn dogs and biscuits, why because that’s what she wanted for dinner. I say nooo, she should eat what we eat, he says she wont eat it! I say children should eat what they are given or simply don't eat! I'm starting to think that I'm not the only one who takes part in the spoiling action! For the record I’m not the best cook; basics I've got down to a science. I mean I do know to boil water before adding pasta to it. She doesn't like my cooking– what a surprise, why? Because I refuse to give her corndogs and biscuits again. Two hours and two reheats of rigatoni with red sauce, pork meatballs and garlic bread. Guess what, she ate. corndogs and biscuits!! I QUIT

2. rory

rory Active Member

Give her corn-dogs and biscuits until she doesn't want corn-dogs and biscuits. And then keep giving her corn-dogs and biscuits until she begs for blue cheese.

?

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

I don't...understand?

This isn't where blog posts go?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No,it does not belong in Writing Issues->General Writing. It doesn't really belong here either, but I'll allow it this time.

It would better have been posted in your member blog.

5. lessa

lessa New Member

When my boys were little and I wanted them to try something different I would always serve something they liked and they had to have a company size serving of the new thing. The company size serving was about a teaspoon. It usually worked and they ate it but sometimes it never became a favourite.
    Dom still loves fishing but hates fish to eat. He now eats mushrooms
    Ray still hates foods that have gravy type sauces and hates mayonaise.
    we all have preferences but they change as we age.
    I still don't like blue cheese but limburger is just unthinkable.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you can't let a child run the family and ruin her health!... how old is this kid?... i had 7 and they all ate whatever i put on the table... and no one was allowed to leave the table without eating at least enough of it to keep them healthy...

you and your husband are not doing her any favors by letting her be so willful [in too many ways to list here]... if you want advice from an uber-mom, drop me an email...
    [i have 19 grandkids now, so my 7 clearly survived the trauma of being told what to do!]...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

7. cboatsman

cboatsman New Member

Have to agree with maia. I have no kids of my own, but I can see from my neices, nephews, and friends kids what works and what doesn't. Letting a 5 year old (I do not know how old your daughter is, I only use that age as an example) make the decisions does not work. Unless you're serving your kids something a dog wouldn't even eat it's generally accepted that if you're eating it then they should have no issues eating it as well.

She'll get the idea once she realizes your foot is down and it's not moving. Good luck.

Caleb

8. ang1stokes

ang1stokes New Member

re:mammamaia

Your are 200% percent correct! My husband says that "eventually she will get sick of eating the same thing and will crave something new" I know that this does not excuse me as a mom; I should not make lite of the situation but I laugh to keep myself from beating them both into submission. Thank your for your honest opinion and I hope to converse with you in the future! I have lots of questions.

ps she's nine

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you're right, it doesn't excuse you for not doing what a good mother should do... that said, i can empathize with how hard it is to go against what a domineering husband says, since i've been there myself, but your children's welfare should be more important to you than pleasing him... out of fear of mine, i gave in on too many things i didn't agree with in my first marriage, and our children suffered for my cowardice...

so, 'stand on your heights!' as my young greek lover used to tell my youngest two, whenever their dad tried to beat them down... you know it's the right thing to do, don't you?...

and feel free to write to me any time, for any reason, ang...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

10. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I've never had any problems like this. My children are fruit and veg addicts. They eat very healthily and whatever we put on the table, minus about 3 things that they just can not stand the taste of.

My honest opinion is to remove corn dogs and biscuits from the shopping list, DON"T allow them in the house, throw what you have in the trash and any other forms of junk food as well. Then put a plate of food at the table for your daughter and sit her there, not allowing her to move from the table until she has eaten at least 2/3 of her meal. It sounds harsh, but if you don't do something soon, she'll become ill. Being 9, she is just pushing the boundaries to see how much you will let her get away with and for how long. My oldest sisters son tried this and he got away with it, and at 12 today, he is a right little sod and refuses to eat most of his vegetables and other healthy foods. You really don't want a teen that performs like this. Get ontop of it now before it is too late!

A friend of mine lived on Chicken take out for 12 months, she ended up grosely overwieght and had serious health issues for the following 3 years. Now she eats really healthily and her health issues are gone. Don't allow your daughter to end up following my friends footsteps.

You are the mother, YOU KNOW BEST! Tell your husband that if he isn't going to be supportive with this, then to just stay out of it. Don't let him push you around with this one as it's your daughters health that is on the line here.

On the funnier side, my (adopted) niece went through a stage for a few days where all she would eat was hot chips, nutella and pickles on toasted sandwich. It was hilarious because it smelt so vulgar and after those few days, she has never had pickles or nutella again lol