Any meet-ups outside of the forum?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AdamWriting, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It all depends on perspective.

To me (I live in Puerto Rico) Liverpool sounds exciting and exotic.

To you maybe Puerto Rico sounds exciting and exotic. To me it's just hot and loud.

*shrug*

Perspective.

2. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Sounds like the experience I had when I was in the military and got stationed in North Carolina...I absolutely hated 90% of my time there and had to force myself to keep my stupid 'liberal' mouth shut.:rolleyes: If they knew what I really thought they would have called me a Communist.

I agree with Wrey, to me Liverpool sounds awesome cos I've never been out of the country...and you know you love PR:rolleyes:

then again I know how my people are and they can get annoying:D

3. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Is Steak n Shake just a midwest thing? :eek: That's really sad.

Yeah... southern Indiana is where the stereotypes really are true, but Indy in general is an okay state. I dont think people who werent born here would enjoy it all that much though. Northern Indy is all right, as far as I know; I live in one of the central suburbs, about thirty minutes from downtown. Personally, Indianapolis is not my favourite area. We just had Black Expo, for example, and people got shot and died again this year, like they do every year. IPS is one of the worst school districts in the nation. The nightlife is bland, but maybe that's just because I'm comparing it to bigger cities like NYC and Boston and Paris.

We are pretty conservative... I like my state, but it's not a place people should be interested in visiting. There's a reason our population stays the same. ;) People who are born here have babies and then they die here. Very few people emigrate and very few people immigrate. I feel I would be much more at home in a place that was anything but.

And Jon, I think NC might be more conservative than Indy. :eek: :D

4. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Yeah, and I just saw it on The Best Thing I Ever Ate. I may be coming to visit you soon. :p;)

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Liverpool is awesome. For one, it has an awesome football team :p :D

6. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Boo Liverpool FC.

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Pffft. Liverpool rule.

8. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Nah, Man.Utd rule. :p

And to keep on topic.. I'm incredibly shy and quiet so I'd be terrible if I met anyone. Although that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to.

9. Aconite

Aconite New Member

My soccer-fan heart belongs to La Boca, Argentina. Just to give you all someone to root against! ;)

Anyone live near Albany, NY? I know another person on the forums is here too, and jonathan hernandez, you're not too far away, but... idle curiosity compels me to ask.

(Edit: Although the person told me in a public forum thread she lived here, she might not want it being secondhand knowledge, I realize. Fixed.)

10. jonathan hernandez13

The only time I've been in Albany was to go to a place called MEPS, had to do a bunch of paperwork and stuff to get processed before shipping off for basic training.

I didnt get to stick around for long, but I liked it there, its a nice place. I even found an old small used book store there, those are so rare.

Now that I think about it I owe North Carolina an apology. Like anyplace else you go, depending on the environment, the people may be more liberal than others. There's a town called New Bern not far from my old base that has alot of 'old money' because it made Pepsi. The people there, for whatever reason are very...open-minded let's say. There are little isolated pockets of us libbies everywhere.:)

And I know for a fact that there's at least one gay strip club in that state because me and my friend accidentally ended up there once, long story:rolleyes:

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I grew up about an hour's drive south of Albany, along the Hudson. I never cared much for Albany, to be honest.

12. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've been thinking about this thread; the closest member to me was Heather (is she still active anyway?) and she was only like 40 miles away.

13. Aconite

Aconite New Member

:eek::(:mad:

I cannot find a smiley that is properly compelling enough to express my immense shock, anger, and sadness, Cogito!

You and your Massachusetts. You're probably a Red Sox fan too!

14. jonathan hernandez13

does that mean you grew up in new york Cog?:confused:

15. Aconite

Aconite New Member

An hour south and staying on the Hudson would put him around Kingston, if my geography's correct (identifying the nearest big city, anyway.)

16. jonathan hernandez13

excellent detective work...

and then I can correctly deduce that he was once, in fact, a new yorker!

[​IMG]

17. Cogito

I didn't live in a city, and yes, I grew up in upstate New York. I moved to Boston for college, and have lived in Massachusetts ever since.

Back roads make for slower travel, so an hour away isn't as far as you assume.

18. Aconite

Aconite New Member

By Jove, Watson... do you think the dancing men are a code? I could figure it out, with a little violin-playing and some more opium!

I suggested Kingston rather than ask you to identify random small town #9837461 and lose at least a little anonymity, Cog! And I'm a Mount Holyoker here -- what school in Boston, if I can ask?

19. Cogito

Massachusetts Institute of Technology. I majored in Math, then switched to Chemistry

20. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Did MIT have a ball-pit when you attended? A few of my friends are on their way to MIT this fall, and they said that one of the dorms has a ball pit --albeit a nasty, diseased one, but the fact that there's a ball pit at all is awesome in and of itself. I think they're all in Baker Quad.

I would have loved to attend school in Boston. MIT and Harvard have the best campus locations (and if you ask me, MIT's location is slightly better), and, of course, they're both fantastic schools.

My school has an awesome location too, I guess. LOL Amish towns as far as the eye can see. Although the Amish do know how to party.

I'll probably take a hike to Boston over a fastbreak one of these days.

21. Cogito

Not that I ever heard. But the basement tunnel system is legendary.