1. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by WhispWillow, Jul 6, 2007.

Anyone ever read this? For those who haven't you really should, it's a great piece by Robert Frost, with power imagery and is quite soothng.
    One of my favourite poems tbh

Out of the poem:
    "My little horse must think it queer,
    to stop without a farmhouse near"

"But I have promises to keep,
    and miles to go before I sleep.
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Last line there you really get the feeling as if he is drifting away while observing the things surrounding him

Anyway, it's a marvellous piece and you should check it out. The title suggests what it's about.

2. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

I would similarly recommend Frost's "Fire and Ice", "The Death of the Hired Man", "Mending Wall" and "Two Roads Diverged in a Yellow Wood".

Other good poems for people who enjoy poetry are "Ulysses", "The Death of Bowie Gizzardsbane", "O Captain! My Captain!", anything written by Rudyard Kipling ("Danny Deever", "Requiem", "The Gods of the Copybook Headings", "Fear", "If- ", et cetera ad infinitum), "Streets", most things by e.e. cummings, "Ex-Basketball Player", "The Raven", "Since Childhood's Hour" (also by Poe, may be titled "Demon in my View"), Shakespeare's sonnets, "Sea Fever", "Columbus", "Horatius", "Opportunity", "When You are Old", and some things by Carl Sandburg, Stephen Vincent Benet (who wrote the oft-neglected "Litany for Dictatorships) and Alfred, Lord Tennyson.